 General / 12807
Re: Are they blind???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 07:52:48 GMT

Mark Herzberg <carorvan@aol.com> wrote:
The Millionaire Next Door

Good book. Very interesting.

Yeah, I've wanted to read it for a while and figured since I am
taking a break from cert-studying now that I have my MCSE I can read
some non-computer stuff.

Our Dumb Century

Never heard of that one. Sounds good (if not quite funny).

Yeah, it's by the people who put out The Onion.  :)

Now, things I got for myself during the birthday/Christmas period
(let's say beginning of December till ... last night):

36" Toshiba TV xxx51 (no need for dual tuner PiP - I hate sports)
Lexmark Z51
A new king size Simmons Beautyrest set (ok, that's for both of us)
Photoshop 5.5 Classroom in a Book
Toshiba SD6109C  DVD Player/Dolby Digital/DTS Receiver combo
Palm IIIx
2x APC BackUPS 650

You really know how to pick out nice things for yourself. As for non-LEGO

Yeah, I've been accused of that.  Oddly enough, I'm horrible at
picking things out for other people for established holidays.
Random out-of-the-blue presents I'm good at - I see something I
think my wife will like, I buy it and give it to her, same with
everyone else.  But I SUCK at buying Christmas/birthday presents -
no good at planning ahead - the "this is just the thing" feeling
just won't come over me if I'm trying to force it.  Which is why
I've started to just buy things and keep them handy, then when
someone has a special day or something I have something I thought
would be cool for them 6 months ago and hope it still will be.

I only got Rachael one actual present for Christmas, Singing in the
Rain on DVD, and I bought it on impulse back in November.  She says
she drops hints as to what she wants, but they don't sink in.
'Course, even she would tell you that every single time she says "I
like this" or "this would be nice" I say, "cool, let's get it."  99%
of the time she says no.  That's why I have the Palm IIIx - note
taking on the go in a fun geek-friendly fashion - I can jot down
things she says she wants, UPC code, location, color, etc, and go
back some other time and buy them anyway, then keep them hidden in
all my piles of computer stuff for special days.

stuff I got...well...um...um...let's see...well...actually nothing really.
Though I found my wife the touring on time, and I can drive
it...sometimes...okay, so I have only driven it once, it is still fun.

Touring on time?

Oh, and I also got myself a remote control car.  I've wanted one for
a while and I got a steal on one and the flex battery pack and
charger - final price $18.  My cats hate it.  :)

--
The parts you want and nothing else?
http://www.guarded-inn.com/bricks/