 General / 12796
Re: Are they blind???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 02:41:49 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jonathan Little writes:
Erin Windross wrote:

Are my parents blind?!
This Christmas I got NO I repeat NO Lego.
Gee I wonder if they have noticed that 6 ft long Lego ship sitting on the • top
bed of my bunk bed. Maybe they just thought that 4558 Metroliner was my • gift,
maybe they thought the dog dragged in that 1998 catalouge showing all the • RESQ
sets, maybe they just thought that Ship was made out of Balsa wood, maybe • they
just thought I needed more sweaters......
*sigh* Well there is always next year!

Erin

My story is a bit different. I wasn't expecting any Lego for Christmas. My
parents have been telling me for months that they don't know what I have,
need, or want and that they weren't going to get me any. However, they did
continually ask me what I wanted, and I always told them that I wanted gift
certificates to some store that sold Lego. That's the only thing I told
them. I had no luck, however. Not one gift certificate. Not one single 2x4
brick under the tree. I'm forced to wait until my birthday (which is about
six months away) and try again.

-Jonathan

PS My condolences to all of those who had to go lego-less this holiday
season. :(

OK here's my 2c worth. I had NO LEGO as a child, and even worse, neither did
anyone I knew!!! Strange, but true.
When I met my partner, he had all his childhood Lego in mint condition, some
still in origional box all with instructions, plus catalogues from 1970 - 1983.
Instant addict!!!!!

Now we buy "for our kids" and have a great time playing with it all, we have
been doing nothing but Lego in this house since xmas morning.
My daughter got the majority of the Egyption adventurers sets, and my son the
two Duplo train sets and 14 extra boxes of track, plus points (5 boxes) level
crossings etc
We have been having the best time with it all!!!!!

Upshot of this is, it may seem like small consolation, but although your
parents weren't clued in enough to buy you any Lego (and mine never did) at
least you won't make the same mistake with your children.

Think what a great time you will all have with it. (make sure you find the
right partner though, someone who will get down on the floor with you and the
kids. this is the main thing we do together as a family (on a daily basis,
usually)

In fact our kids hardly play with anything else. (and neither do we)
My daughter will be getting a large selection of old MIB and new castle for
her birthday in January, and my son will be getting lots of old MIB toolo and
new 2000 Toolo and Duplo passenger trains for his birthday in August.
AND I CAN"T WAIT!!!!

Rachel :-)
Oh by the way, my partner and I are wondering if the Lego can ever leave the
house when the kids do, we thought our grandkids could come to our house and
play with this amazing collection that will by then span at least 50 odd
years! (as some of it is already 30 yrs old) How could we ever split that up!
We will be the coolest grandparents on the block! Granny and Grampa who spend
a lot of thier time collecting and playing with thier Lego!
Stay young!
And always remember your parents mistake, and vow to never make the same one -
Lego is for life!!!!

Rachel :-)