 General / 12797
Re: COMPLETE LIST OF NEW SETS FOR 2000
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.publish
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 02:55:20 GMT

In lugnet.general, Suzanne D. Rich writes:
If heads of the LEGO Company wanted their retailer catalog to be publicly
available, they most certainly could publish it online all by themselves.
But first, I think they would distribute it to all the retailers who right
now are waiting for their copies to arrive. • ----
In lugnet.general, "Christian Gemuenden" <GECH1@t-online.de> writes:
[...]
Also if there are still retailers waiting for their catalogues to arrive why
do they yet ship out the consumer catalogue and why do they usually ship out
the first new sets around beginning of december?
----
In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:
[...]
I can only guess, but my guess is that the reason the retailer catalog is
late this year (it usually comes out in August-September, I believe) is
because LEGO wants to minimize the possibility of leaks.  It's see far too
many leaks lately to remain comfortable.  (Disclaimer:  this is just an
educated guess.)
----

From what little I know: retailers (the small shop kind) order from a typed
list months in advance or else they prepare by requesting "one case of each of
everything new ASAP." The pretty color catalog comes later, close to when the
new sets ship. It's more useful for future shipments or for those store owners
who hadn't yet ordered any of the new year's sets. LEGO seems to release it
pretty late. Either it isn't ready before then, or they held them up. I don't
know. But there seems to be some hefty pressure on LEGO from retailers to speed
up the release of the retailers' catalog. I have heard of store owners seeing
the consumers' catalog (in the hands of a customer looking for sets which
weren't out yet) before their retailers' catalog.

-Suz.