 General / 10050
10049  |  10051
Subject:
Age range 16+ (was: Re: 2000 Scans are Online!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Wed, 10 Nov 1999 22:20:44 GMT

In lugnet.general, "Simon Robinson" <simon@simonrobinson.com> writes:
In lugnet.general, Damian Garcia writes:
Jason Brown wrote in message <382739DC.77E70887@mines.edu>...
Did you notice the age on the "Ultimate Collector's Series"  from 16 years?
Has Lego listed an age 16 or above?  They look expensive to me...

That does sound like really good news - I assume these are pretty
much the first Lego sets for which the suggested age range is basically
an adult range.

What puzzles me though is *why* they are marked as from 16. They don't
look especially hard to build - certainly no more so than sets like
the technics space shutttle, which was sold as being for I think about
age 11.

My guess, FWIW, is that TLC is still reticent to admit that the products
they sell actually appeal to very, very wide age ranges.  IOW, if they'd
marked it "from 11 years," then they'd be admitting that what 11-year-olds
play with is also what adults play with.  Starting it at 16 instead of 11
lets them maintain the overall age-range illusion, because, for example, the
difference between an 11YO and a 22YO is much, much larger than the
difference between a 16YO and a 32YO.  And they can't say anything like
"ages 11-16" for something this expensive...

--Todd (drooling over the hopeful thought of a 7198 Millennium Falcon in the
"Ultimate Collectors Series" in 2001 or 2002...?)