 General / 10070
Re: Age range 16+ (was: Re: 2000 Scans are Online!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.starwars
Date:
Thu, 11 Nov 1999 03:15:26 GMT

My guess, FWIW, is that TLC is still reticent to admit that the products
they sell actually appeal to very, very wide age ranges.  IOW, if they'd
marked it "from 11 years," then they'd be admitting that what 11-year-olds
play with is also what adults play with.  Starting it at 16 instead of 11
lets them maintain the overall age-range illusion, because, for example, the
difference between an 11YO and a 22YO is much, much larger than the
difference between a 16YO and a 32YO.  And they can't say anything like
"ages 11-16" for something this expensive...

I definitly think the new "Ultimate Collectors Series" sets are marketed almost
directly to adults.  For one, looking at all the pieces in these models my
guess is that these models are probably going to go for $100+ each.  I hope I
am wrong but I know that I would definitly get one of each for that much but
most JrFOLs just cannot afford that kind of expense.  Secondly because of the
details and the apparent quantity of small part these models will take time and
paitents to build.  I just think many JrFOLs would prefer to get the 7140,
7150, 7130 etc. for alot cheaper that these sets and they still get an X-Wing
and a Tie Fighter.

Granted a lot of this is attributed to the popularity of Star Wars but wouldn't
it be nice if they even just tried an "Ultimate Collectors Series" Castle or
Pirate Ship.  I would be very interested to see how well sets like that would
sell.  It would be nice if TLG (or is it TLC now?) would take a chance and try
something that isn't "guarenteed" big sellers just to see if the Adult
community trully is big enough to warrent these types of sets over the long
term and in other more generic themes.

--Todd (drooling over the hopeful thought of a 7198 Millennium Falcon in the
"Ultimate Collectors Series" in 2001 or 2002...?)

Oh man!!  I allmost hope your kidding.  I just think a Millennium Falcon in the
kind of detail that we see in the comming X-Wing and Tie Interceptor would have
to be in the $700 range.  I could be wrong however if they decide to stay away
from scale restrictions in the series.  I suppose they could make a Falcon in
incredible detail that is only fractionally bigger than the X-Wing.

I wonder what people would think of that.  Would you allow for more flexibilty
in scale in this new line?  If the scale of a Falcon were significantly smaller
than the scale of the X-Wing would there be a problem?  Or would that be seen
as OK in a series such as this?

I would like to here everyones feelings on this.

Eric

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/