 General / 9868
Re: 2000 Scans are Online!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 9 Nov 1999 04:45:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Simon Robinson writes:
In lugnet.general, Damian Garcia writes:
Jason Brown wrote in message <382739DC.77E70887@mines.edu>...
Did you notice the age on the "Ultimate Collector's Series"  from 16 years?
Has Lego listed an age 16 or above?  They look expensive to me...

That does sound like really good news - I assume these are pretty
much the first Lego sets for which the suggested age range is basically
an adult range.

Well - if they are limited edition, then they'll sell-out, which is good. But
not as good as if they weren't limited and they sold out as well! Ie - by
limiting the numbers TLG will never *really* know how popular they would be.

What puzzles me though is *why* they are marked as from 16. They don't
look especially hard to build - certainly no more so than sets like
the technics space shutttle, which was sold as being for I think about
age 11.

Blame the kids! The UK Bricks'n'Pieces magazine gives sets to club-members to
build, and almost *every* kid says something like "When I opened the box I
thought I'd never be able to build it!" Considering the steady juniorisation,
you have to wonder about these claims! I mean - I was lucky enough to get 8860
for Christmas when I was 9 - and I didn't have too much trouble putting it
together.

Or maybe it's because of juniorisation that the kids don't feel confident
enough to tackle more complex sets.

Or maybe it is an attempt to reach the teen market - to make Lego seem more
cool to a age-group that wouldn't usually touch it.

Ack, I'm puzzled now too.. answers on the back of a 2x4...

Richard