 General / *880 (-20)
  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Here are a few comments that stand out in my mind -- things that get to the heart of the matter on a social level. I'd like to hear more opinions on these points... Robert M. Dye: (...) This seems to be a recurring theme lately, spoken in slightly (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think the largest problem would be: Moderation!!! Will you moderate RTL on Lugnet as you moderate Lugnet? What effect would that have on people who read RTL via their Newsgroup reader? Will you block spam on RTL from being viewed on Lugnet, (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think confusion like this is one of the best reasons to NOT include r.t.l on LUGNET. My personal opinion is that crossposting, unless used with great consideration and thoughtfulness, is a bad thing. The biggest problem with crossposting in (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) It is, ultimately, yes, but while almost all of the administrative decisions here have been clear and solid, some (like this) are too complex and without precedent to make a comfortable gut-level determination. Input is strongly needed in this (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Hmm, aren't rec.toys.lego and lugnet.general actually very different? -- (that's why the potential for confusion -- because they seem similar at first but aren't really)... lugnet.general is for "general" LEGO or community discussions that (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Received this e-mail from Lego

(...) Interesting -- so those tranparent neon green/yellow hexagonal energy orbs are officially called VoltStones...? --Todd (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I think it would be a good thing preventing the death of RTL as everyone leaves and moves to LUGNET. (...) I don't think it would make it easier either way as I would still have to use 2 news servers. (...) It would prevent the split currently (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Price of Old Castle sets..

Hi.. I was just wondering, after reading some of these messages, what the prices on these sets I have would be, ballpark figure. Set 375, European version of yellow castle. Box, instructions, most of the parts. the horses & minifigs have mostly gone (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Todd Lehman wrote in message <3660932d.30465790@l...et.com>... (...) here, (...) If it means you can crosspost, then definitely not. People would just crosspost everything and we'd end up with all sorts of crap and flameage on Lugnet. Other than (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Well, if that's the deal, leave it alone. Ain't broke; don't fix. And don't initiate something that will be difficult to reverse if it goes bad. Out. JSA (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) No, no, no... I was trying to say you were the wise one by remaining silent. The man who knows what he does not know and is not afraid to say so is wiser by far than the man who thinks he knows it all and is not afraid to say so. :-) (...) The (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

YES YES YES that way I can crosspost! KL (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Well, I'll risk putting in my two cents, and being thought a fool... I have trouble accessing RTL from time to time. Most recently, I keep getting that there are no new mesages, when I know for a fact that ther are. I had thisa problem once befoore, (...) (26 years ago, 21-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Ouch. I think. But seriously, I am so cyberchallenged that I don't even understand the questions on this issue. JSA (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

R.T.L. on Lugnet? Does that mean more messages send through than through my current server? I like what lugnet does and it seems that everyone respects the rules so far ......I seen the other day that someone was posting furby's for sale, now what (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

Larry Pieniazek wrote: ...<snip>... (...) For the same reasons above, which very elegantly turned into words by Larry P., I wouldn't like to see it here, but of course it is IMHO, and would happily fit for the thing that others may want. Selçuk (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) I gotta abstain too. It would be more convenient for me, but I see both good and bad things coming from it. (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Personnaly it costs me little time and no money to maintain the status quo. I am not a big fan of cross posting, so that feature has no appeal. In general I believe that the potential negatives out weigh the upside. It seems as though RTL is (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) Oops, I omitted the above referenced footnote from the last append: Here it is. 1 - I am reminded of the "it is better to keep silent and be thought a fool, than to speak up and remove all doubt" quote... everyone will be able to decide if I'm (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

  Re: Should RTL be hosted on this server?

(...) This is a question worthy of some thought. Nevertheless, I'm gonna share my gut reactions now, and think about it and probably post again. Call it intuition vs. deliberation... What follows is the intuition part. My gut reaction is no. I can (...) (26 years ago, 29-Nov-98, to lugnet.general)

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact