 Dear LEGO / 4573
Re: New Skin Tones coming? (was: Re: Scans from new danish 2004 catalog)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 2004 17:52:19 GMT

In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:
   In lugnet.general, Matthew Miller wrote:
   Tim Courtney tim.courtney@SPAMCAKE.zacktron.com wrote:
   I’ve had mixed feelings about this, but now I am prepared to welcome the changes. While I love yellow minifigs, I believe having the chance to see skin-toned figures will enhance the realism of the LEGO line.

I question the need to “enhance” the realism.

What if it meant more sales and wider appeal?

Out of curiosity, does anyone suppose that TLG’s decision to move toward flesh tones might have been, at least in part, motivated by the fact that successful competitor brands have been marketing flesh-toned figures for years? This, coupled with several years’ worth of “Where’s Lando” arguments in various permutations could have provided some insight into the consumer’s desires re: minifig colors.

   TLC has changed the fig many times over the years. I just don’t buy the “don’t change because it’s a change” argument. Change is necessary and good.

Sure, but not all change is necessary or good, nor good or necessary for all concerned parties. If TLG wants to protect its bottom line, I say that’s 100% fine. But they should at least have the integrity to admit that that’s their goal (or one of their goals) rather than spinning some kind of “it’s all for the children” explanation.

Also, I guess all of this depends on whether or not the minifig colors really are changing...

Dave!

Whence should this be FUT’ed?