 Castle / 12661
Re: Is lugnet.castle the place for stories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 06:56:13 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Anthony Sava writes:
That is your opinion, and I shall respect that.  Not everyone likes an online
story, its just the way the world works.  However, I'd like to point out that
most all of the subgroups of lugnet (with the major exception of .trains as
far as I know) have large amount of story elements in them.  Of what I've
witnessed, the majority of space ship, mecha, or pirate ship posts have at
least a small snippet of story explaining the MOC's existance.

Well, it's not that I dislike stories. Far from it. It's merely that in the
Lego world it tends to be that a creation inspires a relating story. Hence,
I might build X, and create a backstory to enhance it. That's great; I'm all
for it. But when the situation is reversed, and the Lego becomes an
enhancement to the *story*, then it's just less valuable to me as a
Lego-pertinent item. I guess some of what gets me down are the stories with
no Lego pictures at all; or ones with a few pictures of 'figs with no
buildings, scene setups, etc. I spose the way to say it is that the pictures
make me want to read the story, not the other way 'round.

And it's not to say that you can't tell a story *through* Lego without
keeping my personal attention. I just find myself more quickly bored the
less Lego's involved. For each picture omitted, for each structure unbuilt,
the story's gotta compensate in order to hold my own attention.

Perhaps .castle
just lends itself more to greater story telling, but if that's the case, I
must seriously ask why .castle was a favorite of yours to begin with.

Well, at least that's an easy answer :) If I had to pick a favorite theme,
I'd have to say Star Wars or Castle. Certainly it's the theme I know the
most about considering its history-- it's also the theme I have the most of,
and the kind of thing I keep getting inspired to build.

On a side note, wouldn't dioramas with lego (which is what the majority of
lego stories are constructed with) also be considered MOCs?

I'd say so...

What is and is not good is a personal opinion.  Obviously you've not found
anything to your liking after Pawel's story in your years of off and on
following of .castle,

That's not entirely true, I only cited Pawel's as the prime example-- IIRC
it was 1st, and it was probably the one that truly did make me want to build
all the more. It's not to say that it was the only one "worthy" in my mind.
What did I like about it?

- Threw you right into the action
- It had just about the right amount of detail for my personal tastes for a
Lego story-- not so time consuming as a novel, but with more to it than a
simple short story.
- There was some quality design work in the scenery (though IIRC the 2nd
chapter done lacked the pictoral detail of the 1st)
- It created an immediate sense of history without giving it away. It
appeared to be a story that would reveal itself to you in parts as good
stories often do, and kept you wanting to know more.

Actually, your own work is up there on the list-- I haven't read the
entirety of the story, and that's mostly due to my tastes in presentation.
However, you've put time in and built Lego models and scenes to tell the
story (love the dragons, BTW).

To be fair to the rest of lugnet, if you took a look at the
lugnet homepage to see the highlighted posts, you would at one point or
another have seen someone's story that had been spotlighted. Obviously
someone thought it was worthy of praise.

Well, honestly-- there's a couple problems. There's a lot of back-patting
that tends to go on, as well as even doing it yourself (IE spotlighting your
own posts); more with regard to who's posting than to what was posted. And
(now a minor, and potentially irrelevant nitpick) it depends on the time.
Some weeks the lowest of the top 10 has 3 spotlight votes. Sometimes it's
only 1 'highlight' vote. Right now there's 4 on the list that only have 1 vote.

Anyway, as I said, I don't know if it is dumb luck. Every few months I'll
get the urge to read someone's story to .castle. And I've just gotten bored
quickly. With most I won't bother reading the story at all-- I'll just check
a link and look at the pictures. But certainly I haven't read nearly
everything that's out there. Have I missed some gems due to bad luck? I
don't know, honestly. That's why I asked.

DaveE