 Castle / 12658
Re: Is lugnet.castle the place for stories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 04:40:21 GMT

In lugnet.castle, David Eaton writes:
<SNIP>
Personally, I've felt rather repelled from castle for my complete opposite
viewpoint. Stories are ok, but that's not what I come to Lugnet for. If I
want a good story, I'll go pick one up at the library. And over the last
year or two, it's been far more and more story-intensive, with far fewer
MOCs. And it's really made me far too distant from what I liked to consider
my favorite subgroup a-way back when.

That is your opinion, and I shall respect that.  Not everyone likes an online
story, its just the way the world works.  However, I'd like to point out that
most all of the subgroups of lugnet (with the major exception of .trains as far
as I know) have large amount of story elements in them.  Of what I've
witnessed, the majority of space ship, mecha, or pirate ship posts have at
least a small snippet of story explaining the MOC's existance.  Perhaps .castle
just lends itself more to greater story telling, but if that's the case, I must
seriously ask why .castle was a favorite of yours to begin with.

On a side note, wouldn't dioramas with lego (which is what the majority of lego
stories are constructed with) also be considered MOCs?  A lego MOC in Lugnet is
at it's most general level a collection of bricks put together in a controlled
way (meaning its not just a big pile of bricks, which one COULD argue is a
MOC.. but I wouldn't try that one).  And if we accept that definition, a lego
MOC would be any creation, diorama, or collection of creations in a logical
placement.

[Dons extra suit]

Honestly? Maybe it's that I never get to read the *full* stories that people
post, or maybe I just keep picking bad ones to read (not that I read them
much anymore), but the end result is I'm really just not impressed with the
stories I see.

I recall back in the beginning the first one I read (probably the first
Lego-castle-story published online) was Pawel's "Of Catherine" (IIRC that
was the name?), and it had the beginnings of story and writing style that
really inspired me to read more, write more, and get excited about the
subgroup in general. But since then, the market either got over-saturated,
the stories got less creative, or maybe as I said I just got stuck with
reading poorly written & conceived stories.

What can I read here that *IS* good? Can someone restore my faith here?
Recommend something to me (not your own) that really *is* quality. I'd
honestly love be inspired by this stuff again...

<SNIP>
$.02,
DaveE (recently diagnosed with dorkism compartmentalia, and refusing
medication)

What is and is not good is a personal opinion.  Obviously you've not found
anything to your liking after Pawel's story in your years of off and on
following of .castle, so why ask for an example of what's good when you've
already deemed it to be unimpressive?  To be fair to the rest of lugnet, if you
took a look at the lugnet homepage to see the highlighted posts, you would at
one point or another have seen someone's story that had been spotlighted.
Obviously someone thought it was worthy of praise.  I suggest instead of asking
for an example of what is "good" and complaining about the "unimpressive"
stories on .castle, why not instead browse the highlighted board.  Or maybe
even better yet, browse the past .castle postings for what have recieved
highlights.  What you will find is what the populous of .castle has found
readable.  The highlight/spotlight option isn't there on posts to tell you
that the post should never be read.

Flame away.

--Anthony
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html

Only as high as I reach can I grow, Only as far as I seek can I go, Only as
deep as I look can I see, Only as much as I dream can I be. -Karen Raun