 Castle / 12671
Re: Is lugnet.castle the place for stories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:46:07 GMT

From casual observation it appeared that the growing amount of stories might
warrant a new group. For example, the growing amount of MECHA in
lugnet.space, eventually gave birth to lugnet.build.mecha.

This is actually a good point that i hadn't considered before.

I'm not sure why people have been getting bent out of shape over this.

I'm trying not to get bent out of shape.  I think everyone here has an idea of
what lugnet is and what it isn't, and it is up to us to guide it along those
directions.  i think subdividing might be a good idea if conditions warranted
it, but there are also certain draw backs to excessive subdivision.

one of the main issues im thinking about is that a large number of .castle
users ive seen lately have been younger and less lugnet experienced.  A
daunting posting procedure would push them away, by being overly confusing.  At
this moment, I don't think the situation is correct for a new subgroup.

(correct me if im wrong, but i get the idea alot of mecha enthusiasts, judging
by amazing complexity of design, are older and more experienced)

Let me address the issue of flooding:
Of course this applies to everybody, but has been evident in several "story"
posts. When replying to a gaggle of comments regarding your post, it would
be considered common courteousy to reply to as many comments as possible in
*one* post. For example, if 8 people reply to your post, please refrain from
posting another 8 replies. Use one or two posts, or e-mail.

I partially agree, partially disagree.  I think we should endeavor not to reply
to every post.. but to post to one message a reply to multiple messages is a
bit confusing and hard to follow.

MOC & stories:
Yes! Indeed there have been some wonderful MOC in stories (large beasts,
treehouses, etc.) However, there have been just as many stories with no
pictures, or MOCs. A story in itself is NOT defined as a MOC in the LEGO • sense.
I do not see TLG selling MOC stories through SaH. Do the readers a favor by
stating whether your story contains a physical MOC out of brick, in your post.

I think using what TLG would sell is not a good judgement of how MOC something
is or it isn't.  I mean, the very definition of MOC is something that TLG
doesn't sell.

LEGO is selling stories to us (bionicle, KK, alpha team), and our
reinterpretation of those stories follows along with our reinterpretation of
their sets.  Stories are not MOC in the most formal sense, but I do believe
they are a form of moc, similiar to custom minifig stickers and whatnot.

As for "lego" stories without any lego pictures.. I'm sorry but one has to have
lego pictures to have a lego story.  Without the pictures, its just a story.  I
think posting whether you've got pictures or not would be a great idea, and
save some people some time.  (i usually go to all websites, but never read
anything without the pictures).

Selling items in lugnet.castle (or any subtheme group)
I mean hey, if you want to sell a slew of castle walls, go to the horse's
mouth, right? Wrong. Whereas it's relevance may pertain to castle....opening
up this floodgate is a disaster waiting to happen. I would guarantee that
eBAYers and BrickLinkers alike would soon be flooding lugnet.castle. Every
other post would be "<something> for sale!!! 20% off!!!". You really don't
want that, do you?

I agree whole-heartedly here.  Keep sales out of .castle.  I understand why
they might be of interest, but advertisements already invade every aspect of
our lives already, i'd hate to see more in such a wonderful place and
lugnet.castle.

My goal is not one of anti-stories, or even mass controversy. This topic
just seemed to be on everyones' minds lately.

thanks for bringing it up.. i think this is something that needs to be talked
about and figured out.  i hope im not being harsh or mean at all in my post; it
is just a differing of opinions in the friendly sense.

i think everyone here is committed to making .castle the best place it can be.

peace and freedom
-lenny