 Castle / 12647
Re: Is lugnet.castle the place for stories?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 23:28:22 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Benjamin Medinets writes:
Personally, I like a good, detailed story-line over a detailed moc.
But I think there is a point in which creations get too detailed.

[Dons flame suit]

Personally, I've felt rather repelled from castle for my complete opposite
viewpoint. Stories are ok, but that's not what I come to Lugnet for. If I
want a good story, I'll go pick one up at the library. And over the last
year or two, it's been far more and more story-intensive, with far fewer
MOCs. And it's really made me far too distant from what I liked to consider
my favorite subgroup a-way back when.

[Dons extra suit]

Honestly? Maybe it's that I never get to read the *full* stories that people
post, or maybe I just keep picking bad ones to read (not that I read them
much anymore), but the end result is I'm really just not impressed with the
stories I see.

I recall back in the beginning the first one I read (probably the first
Lego-castle-story published online) was Pawel's "Of Catherine" (IIRC that
was the name?), and it had the beginnings of story and writing style that
really inspired me to read more, write more, and get excited about the
subgroup in general. But since then, the market either got over-saturated,
the stories got less creative, or maybe as I said I just got stuck with
reading poorly written & conceived stories.

What can I read here that *IS* good? Can someone restore my faith here?
Recommend something to me (not your own) that really *is* quality. I'd
honestly love be inspired by this stuff again...

I guess that's up to admin, but if the group were to be created, I think
some of the "compartmentalized dorks" would start complaining that the
stories belong in lugnet.publish.stories and not in the main theme groups
(which are largely believed to be reserved to show off mocs in a specific
theme)

Indeed! I'd complain :) It seems like more and more the stories are nothing
to do with Lego whatsoever, and the purpose of the subgroups is to discuss
lego-related issues within that subtheme. Mostly consisting of:

- questions/comments/etc about sets within that theme
- proposals for new/desired sets
- info on rumoured sets
- new/old subtheme-related MOCs
- new sites
- building tips/questions/comments for things within that subtheme

According to the subgroup charter, you can also discuss things that are
non-Lego related, but I'd like to think that the intention also is that
non-Lego topics aren't meant to overpower the Lego-related stuff. And it
seems more and more that (with things like stories), the Lego creations are
only there to compliment the story, not visa versa... which just seems
backwards to me...

Actually if you want to be technical, most of the moc's should be published
in lugnet.announce.moc, and general discussion of each theme should be used
for the individual theme areas....

I'd say the proper posting procedure would be to lugnet.announce.moc,
Xposted to the appropriate subtheme(s). And depending on the nature of your
building style and the content of the message/site you're posting about,
potentially also X-posted to lugnet.general, lugnet.build, lugnet.sculpture,
etc., depending on what's relevant. And naturally follow up to relevant
subgroups, deleting announce and potentially general (depending on content
and discussion).

$.02,
DaveE (recently diagnosed with dorkism compartmentalia, and refusing medication)