 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2160
Re: Animation using Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 18:42:26 GMT

I'm working on some code to do this now : )  It's an extension of a
utility I wrote a week ago that takes an Ldraw file and parses all the
submodels and parts to give one a list of the pieces needed to build it.
  This new version just parses things further, down to the polygon level
and then tests the vertices and their centroids to see if they lie
within the view cone.  I'd like to expand it to do real clipping and BFC
eventually too.  That'd make something like datsville workable in OpenGL.

For POVRay, which is what most of us use for renders, we could add pov
bouding boxes in the basic parts and primitives, not so much to remove
parts of the scene, but to speed up pov's intersection testing.

Michael Horvath wrote:

There was some discussion a while back about a technique whereby one culls all
objects that are not within the field of view. I don't know if this technique
was ever created.
I don't know if it's possible to get the bounding box of every object, but if it
is, then one could surround each submodel with an if/else statement, and only
render a sub-model if it is found within the view cone.