 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2156
Re: Animation using Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 05:48:04 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Michael Horvath wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Tore Eriksson wrote:
Sorry, LDBoxer does not "unpack" and re-parse MPDs. Therefor, the output will
not be trustworthy. Someday I may be able to make programs that can handle MPDs
correctly... :/

It worked fine for me. But then, I had to split it up into sections, just like
Orion did.

It's not exactly surprising that it worked ok, but if he didn't include any MPD
support, then the results aren't necessarily correct.  Since he presumably only
pays attention to the locations of parts that he's willing to box, the
references to subfiles in the MPD will just be ignored.  This means two things:

1. You won't get any replacement across the sub-sections.  (In Datsville, there
probably aren't any cases where correct MPD handling would do this anyway.)
2. You could potentially have pieces boxed that aren't supposed to be.  For
instance, if one model had a 3 brick high wall in a spot, and another had a 5
brick high wall in the same spot, the top bricks in the 3 brick high wall would
incorrectly be boxed.

--Travis Cobbs