 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2148
Re: Animation using Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 15:52:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Michael Horvath wrote:
Also, it would be nice if LDBoxer could replace bricks that have only their
bottoms or only their tops covered, as opposed to replacing only those bricks
that have both their bottoms and their tops covered. This, however, would
necessitate the creation of an additional pair of replacement bricks for each
and every brick (unofficial ones, at that).
However, clever use of conditional statements within the existing part files
might accomplish the same (I can go into more detail, if you wish). But, these
would be unofficial modifications, as well.
I would be willing to add the conditional statements into the simple bricks that
LDBoxer currently checks for, but am not sure if my changes would be accepted
into the next parts update.

I've been doing some experiments with different variants of LDBoxer, and also a
hing called LDFilTEr.

There is a semi-automatic version of LDBoxer where you can pick parts one by one
and the interface lets you filter out parts irrelevant for your decisions. I
know, this can be very time-conuming, despite my efforts to make it easier.

LDFilTEr can't filter out a cone, but at least objects that are placed behind
the "camera", or very much to the left or right. Btw, I'm not sure if I ever
made an official LDFilTEr(?)

My programming skills are limited. I wish I could make utilities that parsed
down through sub-models, that would be really great in the case of Datsville.
But so far, my utilities have been very linear; Open file, read first line,
process that line, read and process next line, close file when end of file is
reached.

Btw, thanks for using LDBoxer! :D
/Tore

PS. I've been thinking of adding "safe" simplified versions of Datsville's
buldings - at least the largest ones. With "safe", I mean "Simplification Level
B" - only parts without any risk are boxed. If you have a library with such
files, could you email them to me for the next Datsville update? Also, any
suggestion on how to solve the directory structure dilemma would be great. DS.