 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2159
Re: Animation using Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 05:26:35 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, Michael Horvath wrote:
In lugnet.cad.ray, Travis Cobbs wrote:
2. You could potentially have pieces boxed that aren't supposed to be.  For
instance, if one model had a 3 brick high wall in a spot, and another had a 5
brick high wall in the same spot, the top bricks in the 3 brick high wall would
incorrectly be boxed.

--Travis Cobbs

True, but that would be an example of sloppy modeling on the part of the author
;) .

I know you're being tongue-in-cheek, but what it sounds like you are saying
couldn't be further from the truth.  I suspect it is due to your misinterpreting
what I was trying to say.  Given that it isn't exactly a trivial thing, that's
not too surprising.

When making models that might be included in a larger MPD, there's no reason
that any attention should be paid to the location of elements in the individual
models with respect to each other.  Whoever places the sub models into the MPD
needs to of course make sure they fit together nicely, but it doesn't matter how
they are layed out in their own coordinate space.

The problem that I was describing was that since LDBoxer doesn't know about MPD
files, all the sub models are treated as if they are in the same coordinate
space.  So if multiple of them have walls at their own origin, LDBoxer will act
like these are in the same place, even though in reality they are in completely
different places.

--Travis Cobbs