 CAD / Ray-Tracing / 2122
Re: Animation using Datsville
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.ray
Date:
Sun, 29 Feb 2004 05:01:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad.ray, James Reynolds wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
All the recent animation work has prompted me to start my Drive Through
Datsville project.  Here's a sample I whipped up this morning:

http://ldraw.pobursky.com/images/customs/movies/town_sample.avi (1.5MB)

You need the DivX codec which can be found at http://www.divx.com/divx/ if you
don't have it (click on the Standard DivX Codec link).

I have thought of using Datsville also.  http://www.lugnet.com/cad/datsville/
seems to be 4 years old.  Is that right?

The concept is 4 years old.  The newest version of Datsville I could find is
less than a month old:

http://home.swipnet.se/simlego/ldraw/datsvill/

How did you make your animation?

I moved the camera along a spline curve.  This technique is really useful once
you learn how to do it (the sample file included in the POV distro was very
useful).

Isn't there suppose to be issues rendering
Datsville because of the size?  Or is that 4 year old technology problems...

Yes there are.  If you want to render Datsville in it's entirety, unless you
have lots of RAM and a big block of virtual memory allocated, the rendering will
fail due to lack of memory.  But I cheated and used only one "block" of
Datsville (town0-1.ldr), not the whole thing.

-Orion