Re: Limits on participation in MOTM/SOTM? (Was: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 02:58:23 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Steve Bliss writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:

Tim Courtney wrote:

I think there should be some sort of limit in place, but what should it be?

I disagree! The objective with MOTM and SOTM is to show off
the best LEGO renderings (preferably with LDraw based tools,
I suppose) we can make. The only kind of "limit" I can
imagine is that you have to put together a description of
_how_ you created your rendering when you win. This will let
us all learn something from the masters.

I agree with Jacob, here.  No limits.

If we start getting large numbers of entries each month, I might change
my mind -- at least, make it clear that the contest admin can ask people
to "unsubmit" entries that are too similiar to recent winners.

Steve

One of those "me too" replies.
But I have to agree with Jacob and Steve.  At this point, limiting seems
counter-productive to me.  Notwithstanding this months avalanche of entries,
we usually have a small number of entries.  Setting furthur limits on an
already small number doesn't seem right to me.
On the other hand, if we regularly start getting a very large number of
entries, I could see the need to limit the amount per voting cycle.  Exactly
how, I don't know.  But that point has not been reached yet.
Currently the only entry limit that exists (AFAIK) is the rule stating that
a particular model or scene can only run for three rounds.

And Jacob, I agree wholeheartedly with your call for better descriptions.
And not just for a scene, even for just a plain model.  More detail is great
- as I called for in an earlier post to the past winners to send more more
info on the past winners.  Personally, I like reading the detail that goes
with the entry - the more, the better.  I really don't understand why people
are so brief in their descriptions - it's their forum to tell everyone about
their pride and joy.  Use it to the fullest.

-- Terry K --