Re: MLCading (Was Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 18:22:56 GMT

I think this is because Space is relatively easy to render compared to a
scene on the ground.  It takes quite some practice and knowledge of
POV-Ray to get nice lighting and a good background in a scene if you
need to include a ground plane, a sky, and possibly some background
elements.  In a space scene, however, you can use a single line and an
include file to make a great starry backdrop, or you can add in the
effects afterwards in Photoshop.
--Bram

I was hoping someone would say this. =)  I know that creating 'earth'
backgrounds is much harder than space ones.  So on this note perhaps those
artists that create non-space themes this month  would be willing to write a
tutorial or two for the LDraw site explaining how on earth they did what
they did. =)  (Sorry Tim more work for you)

Tim it looks like we need a new category/topic for the tutorial section:
Photoshop touchups!  Do we have any volunteers to teach the rest of us... oh
please, please, please...

Brad Hamilton did you insert the mountian background using Photoshop?
Martin Humel are those red glows shadowless spotlights in POV?
Joel Kuester, how on earth did you get the model into that image?  Photoshop
layers trick?
Cale Leiphart did you too use shadowless spotlights forthe candeles?  How
did you do the candles?
Jermey H. Sproat those lasers how? and the jetpack vents?  and the mountain
POV or photshop?

All of these are prime candiates for tutorials or even how-to's a simpel
step by step procedure on how to do what you did in your image.  From there
the reader can take it to the next level...
-AHui