Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 09:43:50 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Terry Keller writes:
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
"Terry K" <legoverse@yahoo.com> wrote in message
A little late....

The first winners for 2002 are:

Model of the Month - Ralph Döering's "My House".  A beautiful virtual
version of the building Ralph lives in.  I would like to see more of this
one.  Ralph, any more images we could link to?

Scene of the Month - Terry Keller's "Under Fire".  X-Wing. Trench. 'nuff
said.
:-)

Cool :-)

Hey - here's something I wanna bring up with everybody.

There are a few people up for voting right now who have won recently, with
models/scenes of the same theme, or multiple past winners of the same nature.
don't recall a formal rule about winners entering, but should there be?

No, no formal rules.

I see for example, Anthony Sava won MOTM twice with the same MOC, only a
different color and a different pose.  And Cale Leiphard (who does some
really
cool Castle stuff) is up again for a castle theme after winning a couple
months
ago with a scene of the same theme.

Well... I think Anthony Sava's two dragons are different. Similar, but
different.  And Cale Leiphart's entries are quite different. Somewhat
similar in theme, but only broadly. You could also cite Brad Hamilton's
multiple wins in architecture.

I thank you for coming to my defense.  Yes, the two dragons are different.  In
fact, they are very different when you have them up close.  However I will
admit that from a distance, as they are in the pictures I sent in for MOTM,
they do appear very close to being the same.  I'm actually planning on MLCading
all four of my dragons for permanent future reference, and if there are no
objections submitting them for the MOTM.

I think there should be some sort of limit in place, but what should it be?
Should it be based on individuals, individuals AND themes, or what?

I really abhor the idea of setting limits. But I do see your point.

As do I.  I guess saying I built the red dragon from scratch doesn't help
things any.

I really don't see how limits could be set. Just up and saying "no more
entries for you" like some soup-nazi is not something I want to do.
Reasonable, well though out suggestions from other is welcome here.

Yes, unfortunately the Cool Lego Website of the Week turned into that.  Tamyra
Teed was almost up in arms that my website, after winning the CSOTW, could not
be up for voting again like some others (Ed Boxer's for example).  I understand
the idea of limits, but as she would point out, my website had changed
dramatically.  I won the CSOTW before I had built my large castle, tower,
atoll, airship, four really big dragons, and a story that for now sits at 24
chapters long.  The story when I won CSOTW was A chapter and it wasn't even the
first one.

I submit... what if I had won MOTM with a small cottage MOC (MOTM not SOTM just
for reference) and a few months later, after much practice and improvement was
able to create one of my dragons in MLCad?  I think I would have been quite put
off in that situation, unable to show off my new prowess.  I know, however,
that IRL this is not the case with me, as I went right off the bat with the
dragons, so you don't have to flame me about it.

Also, is it OK for the same person to enter both a model and a scene in the
same
month?

Yes. I have no problem with an entry in both. So long as they conform to the
rules for the categories.

I think we should let the current voting go on the way it is, but for future
contests, this is something we should think about.

Agreed. Change is good.

P.S. Don't forget the voting link for this months contests on the same
page.
LOTS to see this month! :-)

No kidding!  I spent a half hour or more trying to decide which Scene to vote
for....

-Tim

:-) tell me about it!  I asked for more entries, and look what I get....

-- Terry K --

One of those, be careful what you wish for things, I'm sure.  ;)

--Anthony
http://www.geocities.com/savatheaggie/legohome.html