Re: MLCading (Was Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 22:12:02 GMT

"Anthony Sava" <savatheaggie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Ahui Herrera writes:
Sure we
can say MLCading but if we (the LUGNET community) can't get our names
straight how do we ever expect the media and rest of the world NOT to
confuse MLCad and LDraw...

Just being a nit-picker. =)

-Ahui

I'm sorry you had to nit-pick, because you're wrong about me.  I did not mean
that I was going to 'LDraw' my dragons.  Yes, I know that MLCad is a gui
program that makes LDraw easier to use (at least for me), but I don't go • aroung
saying I'm going to POV-Ray my dragons, do I?  I use MLCad.  It is the program
I directly interface with on my computer.

If you render your models in POV, you directly interface with it.  Unless you
use L3PAO's render when finished converting option...  When I render a MOC in
POV-Ray, I say that, because that's what I'm doing.  You can't achieve the same
level of quality in MLCAD alone.

You also interface with L3P and L3PAO when you're converting, possibly LGEO if
you have that option turned on.

I never touch LDraw.

Yep, you do.  Each and every part you place on the screen is an LDraw part.
LDraw isn't just the program ldraw.exe or the package deal ldraw027.exe, its a
system of tools.

I gotta side with Ahui and his assertion.  Anthony, check out
http://www.ldraw.org/aboutus/ldrawname when you have the chance.  It explains
why we're making these assertions.

I use POV-Ray
a lot when I Cad my dragons.  However, it is not the program that creates the
dragons.  Conversly, if I were to LDraw my dragons, I would not 'drawing' them
at all.  I 'Cad' them.  I draft them using a computer aid, namely MLCad.

In short:  I said what I meant and I meant what I said.  I MLCad my dragons.

You just contradicted yourself above.  You said you don't LDraw your dragons,
you CAD them, so because the program you use is called MLCAD, you MLCAD them.

LDraw is the CAD *system*, MLCAD is the LDraw *interface*

:-)

-Tim