Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 14:31:30 GMT

"Tim Courtney" <tim@zacktron.com> writes:

All I'm doing is trying to look for some more variety in the
winners, and let people who haven't won get a better chance of
winning.

I think that putting any more constraints on the submissions would be
counter productive.  We (I, in this case:) want to see as many
contestants as possible and don't want to impose any restrictions on
the kind of work submitted.  If someone submits the same kind of work
over and over again, that is perfectly fine with me.  If people vote
for it to the extent that this persons wins over and over again, then
it probably means that the work is good.

I remember the monthly LEGO contest introduced by David Lukens some
years ago (1998?).  There were very strict restrictions on the theme,
and the number of elements used in the creations, and possibly other
restrictions as well.  During the first three themed contents, only
one person submitted a creation.  (Guess who!)  So after three runs
with receiving only one submission from a single person, David Lukens
stopped running the show, which is very understandable.

The situation we have now with a massive number of submissions
monthly(!) is very favorable, and certainly beyond my expectation.  I
wouldn't want to impose any restrictions and risk loosing this vivid
display of creativity.

Terry Keller does a very good job of running the show, and I would
also like to applaud Jacob Andersen for programming the machinery
behind the curtains.  (I assume it is his work.)

BTW, Rick Hallman's entry in the scene category is very interesting in
that it combines different scales in one image.  Great work!

Fredrik