Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 12:02:42 GMT

"Anthony Sava" <savatheaggie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Terry Keller writes:
Well... I think Anthony Sava's two dragons are different. Similar, but
different.  And Cale Leiphart's entries are quite different. Somewhat
similar in theme, but only broadly. You could also cite Brad Hamilton's
multiple wins in architecture.

Yep, Brad was another example I was thinking of, but forgot to mention it.  He
does some absolutely incredible stuff no doubt!!  I'm just wondering if it is
appropriate or not to allow multiple entries of the same theme of the same
person, for the sake of giving others a chance at having their models showcased.

I thank you for coming to my defense.  Yes, the two dragons are different.  In
fact, they are very different when you have them up close.  However I will
admit that from a distance, as they are in the pictures I sent in for MOTM,
they do appear very close to being the same.  I'm actually planning on • MLCading
all four of my dragons for permanent future reference, and if there are no
objections submitting them for the MOTM.

All I'm doing is trying to look for some more variety in the winners, and let
people who haven't won get a better chance of winning.

Not lashing out against your dragon in any sense :-)  I just see it as an
example of something, as you put it, the two look very similar.

I think there should be some sort of limit in place, but what should it be?
Should it be based on individuals, individuals AND themes, or what?

I really abhor the idea of setting limits. But I do see your point.

As do I.  I guess saying I built the red dragon from scratch doesn't help
things any.

The dragons are great MOCs, I just hope you see my point about variety.  What is
your suggestion to give the contests more variety, and to allow people who
haven't won a chance?

Yes, unfortunately the Cool Lego Website of the Week turned into that.  Tamyra
Teed was almost up in arms that my website, after winning the CSOTW, could not
be up for voting again like some others (Ed Boxer's for example).  I • understand
the idea of limits, but as she would point out, my website had changed
dramatically.  I won the CSOTW before I had built my large castle, tower,
atoll, airship, four really big dragons, and a story that for now sits at 24
chapters long.  The story when I won CSOTW was A chapter and it wasn't even • the
first one.

I don't recall that conversation.  But, from what you've said here, it only
seems fair if someone else was put up again after dramatic changes, you should
be given the chance to as well.

I submit... what if I had won MOTM with a small cottage MOC (MOTM not SOTM • just
for reference) and a few months later, after much practice and improvement was
able to create one of my dragons in MLCad?  I think I would have been quite • put
off in that situation, unable to show off my new prowess.  I know, however,
that IRL this is not the case with me, as I went right off the bat with the
dragons, so you don't have to flame me about it.

Not flaming you at all.  I only cited you as one example among several.

-Tim