Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Wed, 6 Feb 2002 15:16:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Tim Courtney writes:
"Anthony Sava" <savatheaggie@yahoo.com> wrote in message
In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Terry Keller writes:
Well... I think Anthony Sava's two dragons are different. Similar, but
different.  And Cale Leiphart's entries are quite different. Somewhat
similar in theme, but only broadly. You could also cite Brad Hamilton's
multiple wins in architecture.

Yep, Brad was another example I was thinking of, but forgot to mention it.  He
does some absolutely incredible stuff no doubt!!  I'm just wondering if it is
appropriate or not to allow multiple entries of the same theme of the same
person, for the sake of giving others a chance at having their models
showcased.

It all comes down to what is the purpose of the contest/showcase? If the
purpose is to showcase the absolute best models, then there should be no limits
at all on participation, other than that a model which has won already should
not be re-submitted without some substantive changes (either in the model
itself, or in the rendering). If the idea is to showcase as many talented
builders as possible, then it may be reasonable to restrict how often a single
person can enter.

Another way to showcase new folks is to have divisions. There can be a division
for people who have won in the past, one for most folk, and one for people
entering the contest for the first time. Another thing which can help showcase
many people is when the number of submissions gets to be too large to a
contest, you have a panel which previews the entries, and selects a reasonable
number for actual entry. Then there is honor just in being selected for showing
(I take this idea from the caving convention I go to which gets thousands of
entries of slides, and whittles that down to a two or three hour slide show).

Frank