Re: MLCading (Was Re: ldraw.org MOTM & SOTM Winners for January 2002)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw
Date:
Thu, 7 Feb 2002 02:42:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Bram Lambrecht writes:
Ahui Herrera writes:
This will give those newbies a even playing field.  Also I'm
not sure about all of you but this month's scenes were again
mostly 'space themes' in the scene entries.  Granted they are
very very good (I spent and hour trying to narrow it down)
but can't we start rendering something else?  Space is nice
with all the starts and effect but I challenge our renders to
create something different.

I think this is because Space is relatively easy to render compared to a
scene on the ground.  It takes quite some practice and knowledge of
POV-Ray to get nice lighting and a good background in a scene if you
need to include a ground plane, a sky, and possibly some background
elements.  In a space scene, however, you can use a single line and an
include file to make a great starry backdrop, or you can add in the
effects afterwards in Photoshop.
--Bram

Good point. But not even counting the ease of making backgrounds, Space, or
"Science Fiction" in general, has always been a popular topic for rendering.
Just take a look at the IRTC entries.(1)  Even though that competition has
clearly defined topics for each round, people still whip up something sci-fi
(pardon the abbreviation) and try to force it to fit the topic.  Like it or
not, the subject has a lot of supporters.  So it's not surprising at all
that the majority of entries tend toward space.

BTW, I looked long and hard at the IRTC's method of having specific topics
for each round.  I thought it might be adapted to our situation.  But the
more I thought about it, the less I thought it would work.  It is just too
limiting, trying to force people to make models or scenes to fit a specific
topic, and the odds of having topics with no entries is likely.
The IRTC's point is to foster creativity using rendering.  MOTM/SOTM is to
showcase models and scenes using virtual Lego pieces.

-- Terry K --
1. Footnotes!
IRTC - Internet RayTracing Competition
www.irtc.org