 CAD / Development / 1311
Re: Foundations (Was: [ldraw.org] Eve of Beginnings)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 1999 11:49:23 GMT

At 11:02 AM 4/14/99 +0000, Terry K wrote:
Jeremy beat me to it with the definition.
I don't have a strong objection to "Foundation", but to me it has • connotations
of a funded organization that contributes monies to various causes.  Heck, • just
read the definition.
That somehow, to me at least, does not seem to reflect what we are doing. • And
even might be a little misleading.  An outsider hearing of the "LDraw
Foundation" could well get a wrong impression of what it is.  Foundations are
what support programming on PBS.  And send deserving students to college. • And
underwrite environmental research expedetions to Amazon rainforests.

It just does not ring true.

I agree.  If 'Foundation' is going to throw people off and possibly be
misleading, than I wouldn't want the site to be called that.

-- Terry K --
BTW, I agree with Jeremy, that the spelling should be LDraw - for Lego Draw.
At least in graphics and titles and such.

Ok, yep, if we use it in the context of a title or header, or even in the
text.  But when referring to *domain names* I strongly object to using
capital letters in a domain name.  So I would not like it referred to as
www.LDraw.Org - since that incorporates caps into the domain.  However,
www.ldraw.org would sit just fine with me.

This is just one more step along the path of the oversimplification of the
web, getting rid of things like domain names that browsers display and
going more towards actaul words for url's... like:

Lego - instead of www.lego.com
Balman Labs - instead of www.balmanlabs.com
Zacktron - instead of www.zacktron.com
LDraw - instead of www.ldraw.org

It seems to me that five or ten years down the road the web will appear to
be more like AOL with channels, popups, and all the other stuff they offer
versus actual pages and urls and such.

Ahh...the nostalgia of the internet before it was stupidized... :)

My $.02

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m