 CAD / Development / 1236
Re: [ldraw.org] Eve of Beginnings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 06:15:32 GMT

At 03:12 AM 4/13/99 +0000, Terry K wrote:
Tim,
It looks to me you have a pretty good start.  Keep in mind that no matter how
much forethought you put into it, changes will occur.  So don't beat yourself
up trying finalize things.  Yet.

:)  But I will work towards getting the best plan I believe will work at
this point.. :\

Under reference, you ask if it needs expansion.  I would say yes.  There is
more than just the online tutorial.  Like Steve's online parts images, and
Lutz's number list.  Those are definately references.

Ok, that is what I need to know.  Also, I believe it would be appropriate
to seek their permission either through this list or email (depending if
they reply here) to be able to reproduce the content of their catalogs on
the ldraw.org site in ldraw.org layout.  Steve, Lutz?

I don't really see having the site title the same as the URL.  Consortium is
not bad.   I can't thing of anything good right now, but there will • probably >be
other suggestions.
On the other hand,  proudly proclaiming the site as ldraw.org has a certain
simplistic dignity to it.  I like simplistic dignity.
I guess I am pretty wishy-washy about it.  :-)
Whatever pleases the majority is fine by me.

Well, ok.  Either way is fine with me, so if the others would suggest their
own or decide between:

Ldraw Consortium

www.ldraw.org

...for the title of the ldraw.org site.

I am looking forward to seeing what develops.
But remember, try to keep the basic structure simple.  Cater to the lowest
common denominator so the site is easily accessible to all.  Flash and pizazz

are fun, but tend to exclude and alienate those without the ability to • see it.
And I like using high resolutions on my monitor, but I know that pages should
not depend on others doing the same.

I design my sites so they work with 800x600 resolution best, though I
personally run 1280x1024 (32 bit true color! Bah!! :).  I keep my MSIE
window to 600-800 pixels wide so I have room for ICQ, AIM, and other
programs.  Rarely do I go full-screen on a browser.

And, as noted elsewhere, simplicity means maintainability.   Which means life
is easier.   I am *so* glad you have all this energy and enthusiasm for this
project, but that might flag quickly if you develop a site that is a complex
behemoth.
And it will require maintenance.  Which is something I *really* suck at. • Just
look at any of my various pages.  :-)
So you are taking on a responsibility here.  Plan wisely.

Yes.  Once I have the page coded I will tediously go through it and comment
it where necessary.  Also, I will run the code by the maintenence people
(whoever they are) so they understand.  In the future I will try to be
actively involved in the maintenance of the site to 1) answer questions and
2) do a lot myself since I am going to be the one who knows my own code the
best.

And I just mailed my 1040.  I am actually getting a _refund_  !!!
So where do I send my contribution?

We need to register the domain, and I believe Larry was the one who
volunteered.  I haven't seen him post here in quite a few days, if not a
week.  I am willing to take the responsibility if he doesn't show up in a
couple days.  When that happens I will post my address and instructions.
Before people send me $$ I want to know who is sending what just so I don't
get over.  I would rather keep it cleanr that way.

And good news!  About an hour ago I finished up my research paper to turn
in tomorrow (first draft) which means tomorrow besides normal homework I
will be able to begin the images for ldraw.org.  At this time I will have a
better idea of how I want it to lay out both with the images and with the
text.

And now I have to get to bed so I can get 4hrs and 45 minutes of sleep
before I get up to go to school :)

Keep Building!!

-Tim <><

http://www.zacktron.com

AIM:   timcourtne
ICQ:   23951114

You've seen their sites and read their posts, now see their faces:
RTL/LUGNET Legofest 1999: http://www.zacktron.com/legofest/

LEGO: SP++++c(6973)[ip++++ bt2++++ ex+++ ft+++ sp+++ ut++]
AQ+++(6175)[an+++ as++ hn-- sr--] TO++[ob+ dv+ tc-- tt-- tjr.---] TC++ CA+
PI+ BV--- DU--- HM--- S+ LS>+++  #++++  Hal M+ A+ YB82m