 CAD / 9948
Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 20:44:12 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee writes:
== Digital Designer ==
We created the Digital Designer software for kids. This software uses the
LXF format, which was designed based on many months (many!) of development,
a desire to bring CAD to kids in a usable format, consumer/fan feedback,
business issues and more. The software itself is closed and proprietary,
just like MLCad is at this point, for instance. You can freely download and
run MLCad, but you don't have access to the source code. Our plan is no
different.
---
Jake McKee
Community Development Manager - N. America
LEGO Direct

A lot of positive feedback on this, but I guess I'll play devil's advocate.

If it's for kids, why are you marketing it with such an adultish, high-tech
name: Digital Designer?

The name sounds like some kind of powerful software program that would allow
someone to design sophisticated models, etc.  I'm curious to see what the
software looks like, and what the interface looks like.  But since it's for
kids, I'm trying not to get too excited about it.  I've been disappointed
about announcements before (still waiting on a better brick assortment for
purchase).

Since it's for kids, shouldn't it be called something like "Lego Designer",
and then when you bring out a sophisticated program out, call that one
"Digital Designer"?

Just a thought.  Keep up the good work.

Lars