 CAD / 9894
Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Thu, 1 May 2003 22:47:42 GMT

Jake McKee wrote:

== The SDK ==
The SDK is a by-product of the DD efforts, and since we are only building
DD for Windows, the SDK we release will only be Windows. That being said,
there is no reason it can't be ported, since the SDK will be well
documented. Really all the SDK is going to be is a set of Windows DLLs.
Now before anyone strings me up from my toes, please understand that with
such a very small percentage of our LEGO.com users being non-Windows
users, it just doesn't make financial sense for use to develop DD for
Linux or Mac.

I can certainly understand this and respect you descicion. However, has or
will the product be tested with something like a Windows emulator/API
library (such as Wine is for the *NIX platform) so that we can at least
attempt to run it?  For instance, I tried some of the currect LEGO
software, but most of it uses so many 3rd party libraries it's almost
impossible to get it to work (Quicktime so far being the worst culprit it
seems)

Specially since it doesn't usually add much functionality (case : Mindstorms
CD's, the intro movies need Quicktime, but I don't see any reason for using
Quicktime in the main program. Yet it so far fails for me to run under
Wine) Perhaps LEGO could do some "dressed down" Windows version, both for
low-end Windows machines and geeky folks like me?
--
Jan-Albert van Ree   | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/
LEGO Santa Fe B-unit | http://www.vanree.net/~javanree/lego/f7b.html