 CAD / 9946
Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct
Date:
Mon, 5 May 2003 21:50:27 GMT

I hope to be able to release the source code to these DLLs, but haven't
gotten final approval for that yet.

Do you think it'll be released under GPL or a license like Perl's, or would
it be a special LEGO license?  (Just curious...I don't think it matters to
much from a practical standpoint.)

Since I am not totally familar with those examples, I can't speak to this
directly. I will say that is likely to be something similar to an GPL, but
with certain "LEGO" issues, which in your example probably means it will be
a special LEGO license. Again, not sure quite yet. This is all part of the
legal issues currently underway.

If this license is still not yet determined, I STRONGLY urge you to
make sure your lawyers are famailiar with the Debian Free Software
Guidelines.  They are oriented towards a particular Linux distribution
but are generally accepted to be a good definition of Open Source.
        http://www.debian.org/social_contract.html#guidelines

Another good guideline to use is the "Open Source Definition":
        http://www.opensource.org/docs/definition.php

Please pass those links on to your lawyers.  If your license follows
these guidelines you are pretty much guaranteed to have a lot of happy
geeks praising your name (and probably get some good press on Slashdot
too).

--Bill.

"A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds, adored by
little statesmen and philosophers and divines."        - Emerson