 CAD / 9886
    More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
   Wow! What a week for LEGO CAD! LPub going open source, another Java viewer underway, a Mac editor hits alpha, new version of LD4D, the LSC, MLCad on Linux, all this Digital Designers stuff... and I know I am missing something! Sorry for the delay in (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct) !!

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Robert Miles
     [snipped] (...) :( If LXF does take off, expect many "historical" parts to be added ;) (...) LOL...I fully understand....build a website for users of Netscape when they only count for 4% of the internet browsers! LOL I can assume the SDK will be (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Todd Lehman
     (...) Yay! (...) Obviously the LEGO-supplied LXF parts will have some restrictions. Do you also mean that homebrew LXF parts would also have restrictions? AFAIK, if I create my own part in LDraw .DAT format, I can sell it. I just can't sell parts I (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
      Lots of great stuff in here, please see comments (and <snips> below): In lugnet.cad, Todd Lehman writes: <snip> (...) Probably something like that. We are still working all this out. (Thus one of the reasons for the NDA that the LDraw developers (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

          Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —William R. Ward
      (...) If this license is still not yet determined, I STRONGLY urge you to make sure your lawyers are famailiar with the Debian Free Software Guidelines. They are oriented towards a particular Linux distribution but are generally accepted to be a (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Lester Witter
      (...) For Perl (I think this is also true for Python) you would only need an API definition and a binary DLL or library for linux. The connection would be via XS (what I use) or SWIG. I done quite a bit of interfacing C to Perl. I think C++ is (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —John P. Henderson
     Hi Jake, (...) Any comment of the part of that old quote that said the designer could "then order the appropriate number and type of bricks" to build the model they have drawn? Just-a-wonderin', -Hendonator (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) It was just one dance on the table! Just one! Oh man... The process we are undergoing right now is just the first step. As we develop and move forward on one step, it changes the others. Our goal way back when was to have the brick by brick (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —John P. Henderson
     (...) I agree this is sound reasoning. In fact with my knowledge of logistics, I will say I kind of expected this response. ...Of course the AFOL in me wishes it could be different... :) (...) One of the natures of this community we've been talking (...) (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Dave Johann
     (...) Thanks Jake! That statement alone gets me on board. Please contact me at the e-mail listed above when you are in need of beta-testers. I'm always glad to be of service. -Dave (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) Uh oh! I hope I was clear! I was referring to the fan created editor mentioned here: (URL) that what you meant? Jake --- Jake McKee Community Development Manager - N. America LEGO Direct (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Dave Johann
     (...) Yep, it looks like I read your post too quickly and thought it was a company project. DOH! Ah, well...when LEGO decides to realize that many of their customers don't do windoze please feel free to contact me. Someday, I'd actually like to (...) (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Jan-Albert van Ree
     (...) I can certainly understand this and respect you descicion. However, has or will the product be tested with something like a Windows emulator/API library (such as Wine is for the *NIX platform) so that we can at least attempt to run it? For (...) (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) Honestly, I'm not sure. I will be sure to pass your comments along to the team though. Jake --- Jake McKee Community Development Manager - N. America LEGO Direct (21 years ago, 1-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Jerry Sievert
     (...) can you comment whether it uses directx or opengl? with opengl, wine is a possibility, with directx, things become a little more difficult. (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Orion Pobursky
     (...) I downloaded the OpenGL version and that works fine. -Orion (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) One point of clarification... I meant that we were putting our own efforts into LXF (not LXF overtaking LDraw). Sorry for any confusion! Jake --- Jake McKee Community Development Manager - N. America LEGO Direct (21 years ago, 2-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Damien Guichard
     (...) Hi Jack, I appreciate the effort the LEGO company seems to deploy just to please its adult and child customers. Whatever sparse/complete the part library, whatever basic/advanced the tools, I am sure the LCAD world will be better after LXF (...) (21 years ago, 3-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Matthew Miller
     (...) Hey, wow, sounds like you "get it". :) Thanks! (21 years ago, 3-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) We're trying! I think at this point, after - being a (adult) fan myself for at least 5 years - having worked for LEGO Direct for almost 3 years - meeting so many folks via email/Instant Message/in person/phone that I have a pretty good idea of (...) (21 years ago, 4-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Matthew Miller
     (...) I'm a bit concerned about some things I read in other posts, though. Particularly, what do you mean by "release" and by "community"? From your answer to Todd's question on Python/Perl, it sounds like "release" means "not really release", and (...) (21 years ago, 4-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) Must be late in the day... I didn't follow what you are asking. Can you point me to the info you are referring to, or perhaps rephrase your question? Thanks! Jake --- Jake McKee Community Development Manager - B.I. Portal (URL) (21 years ago, 4-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Matthew Miller
     (...) Sure. This message: (URL). Todd says: OK, sounds like, at least initially, the SDK source would only go to a few people for the express purpose of porting the SDK to other platforms. If it's the case that LEGO doesn't want the whole world to (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things Jake McKee
     (...) Well, to me the point is to get out to as many people as possible. However, as I have stated a number of times, we are still early in the process and have a great many questions to answer. There are legal and business issues like you wouldn't (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Matthew Miller
      (...) Actually, I *can* imagine. I work at a large institution and have to deal with this sort of thing all the time. :) But I'm hopeful, as many companies have gone through those legal and business issues before and come out on the right side. (...) (21 years ago, 5-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

         Perl —Lester Witter
     (...) In the discusion about LTX, Perl has been mentioned. How would you envsion using Perl in the LEGO CAD (or other LEGO) environment? I have been using Perl for serveral years at work (doing image processing) and might do some hobby programming. (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad)

         Re: Perl —Kevin L. Clague
     (...) The LDraw file format is text based and human redable, so it would be a snap to apply perl to it. My program LPub started out as a perl script that broke the DAT files down into step dats, ran them through L3P and then post processed the (...) (21 years ago, 3-Jun-03, to lugnet.cad)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Lars Brandt
     (...) A lot of positive feedback on this, but I guess I'll play devil's advocate. If it's for kids, why are you marketing it with such an adultish, high-tech name: Digital Designer? The name sounds like some kind of powerful software program that (...) (21 years ago, 7-May-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)

        Re: More information on LEGO Digital Designer and other things —Jaco van der Molen
   (...) I downloaded the full package of DD from (URL) it I did not meet the full requirements and saw that that the interface of the installer is in Danish! I can guess what it says, but this is not handy :-) Jaco (21 years ago, 16-Dec-03, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.lego.direct)