 CAD / 4452
  The Artemis Project

As some of you may know, I am a student of Industrial Design, specializing in product and interface design. I will be graduating in December, and hopefully putting some of that to work ;) I have really appreciated all the work that everyone in the (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

  Stages, woo-hoo! (Was: The Artemis Project)

(...) The single greatest contribution (IMO) that the Artemis Project has to offer is the concept of Stages, its OO approach to model and submodel storage. Essentially, a model can be associated with a Stage or a set of attributes -- origin offset, (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.dev)

  Re: The Artemis Project

Karim, I happen to like the look of the user interface. It definitely has the "Adobe" look and feel. It also looks like the best interface I have seen, although it looks like it adds a little to the learning curve. Of course, added power comes at (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) Hehehe, well, That's not necessarily a *good* thing :) But it's true, I used screenshots of Photoshop to composite the interface screens, as that was what I had at hand. It also looks like the best interface I have seen, (...) He has. I'm not (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

I agree, having an Open Source cad project would be a very good thing. I definetely recommend taking a look at (URL) It's a free site sponsored by VALinux for hosting Open Source projects. It provides everything from cvs repositories and bug (...) (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

Would it be possible to obtain a copy for offline reading? Kind regards John Jensen (24 years ago, 24-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) Yes, I have thought of Sourceforge... The only reason I didn't propose it right off the bat, is that given that *I* won't be doing any programming, I didn't feel like it was my right to decide how the code would be offered. Sourceforge (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) John, I have compiled a version for printing at: www.etymon.com/kn/te...print.html --Karim (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

Intrested, But your pages don't display correctly in IE3 :-( Alex (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) Which, with the release of 5.5 is now 2.5 versions back level. :-) ++Lar (the guy who usually argues for backward compatability, but you ought to consider upgrading to 5 at this point) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) WOW. From what I got a chance to read on this, Karim, your ideas are excellent. I didn't get past the screenshot, due to lack of time. I've been on the road the last two days and now I'm in Rumney, NH. (...) *well* - you wouldn't believe where (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) There are already some Open Source CAD projects, the problem is to get people to work on the same application. Leonardo (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

  Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) So, what did he say about MLCad / LDraw? Did he make any comments comparing TLC's software to LCAD? Does he do stuff in MLCad because he enjoys it, or just as a matter of keeping aware of what's going on? (...) Drat! One thing I like about (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

(...) Well, I'm using a CSS, but if IE3.0 can't display that, then it's its own fault. I've noticed that IE likes to make up its own rules about how to display standard HTML... --Karim (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) Because of the nature of his job, I think that he does it cause he enjoys it. He didn't comment much on the software, I dunno if that's because TLC is skittish about releasing opinions or not (I recall a couple years ago either I talked to or (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Some TLC folks use LDraw, MLCad (Was: The Artemis Project)

(...) Wow. Somebody pinch me. This is about as close to unofficial endorsement as you can get! Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) Actually they are aware of a lot of things, I know someone from TLC who tried LeoCAD. It's not a big surprise, if they know Lugnet then it's almost impossible not to know the CAD newsgroups too. (...) We could come up with a simple standard (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Some TLC folks use LDraw, MLCad (Was: The Artemis Project)

(...) Well, its clear that the LCAD advancements are the BEST we've seen of any 3D Lego design program, with the exception of the illusive TLC instructions program (which, from what I've seen, I wouldn't be surprised if it was VERY limited). So, (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Some TLC folks use LDraw, MLCad (Was: The Artemis Project)

(...) Well, Entirely possible, but not necessarily... I know of many Industrial Designers & Architects who use very state-of-the-art CAD/CAID software at work, but use very cheap & limited software at home for their personal creativity... Why? (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Some TLC folks use LDraw, MLCad (Was: The Artemis Project)

(...) I believe their use of the software is cumbersome and limited, because even though they have state of the art CAD systems, they still print out LARGE sheets of brick graph paper (~6' wide plotter) with images on them and trace the studs. Plus, (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.cad.mlcad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) was (...) I can absolutely confirm that Legos Danish-to-English part name translations dont usually come out very well from my work on the Technic parts registry. It used to be that I tried very hard to get "official" Lego names for all of the (...) (24 years ago, 25-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) worms) - (...) interfacing (...) have (...) I seriously doubt that TLC would ever adopt our naming conventions - even if Tim Courtney asked them to. :-) (inside joke there) And I agree with Steve that it is highly unlikely, given past (...) (24 years ago, 26-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: The Artemis Project

Bravo Karim! An outstanding, well-considered and -presented treatise on the future of user- supported Lego CAD. This paper clearly defines a rational approach to future development and I hope that the community can come together and make it happen. (...) (24 years ago, 26-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish)

"Terry K" <legoverse@yahoo.com> wrote in message news:FzvL6F.Lop@lugnet.com... (...) if (...) ROFL :) BTW - so you can rest at night, no bricks which weren't mine were removed from the model shop yesterday. I brought some of mine in, and all of mine (...) (24 years ago, 26-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) Having their names would be good but even better would be having all of the part numbers for all of the parts, including those really small ones where we dont currently have part numbers (like the minifig torsos for example) (24 years ago, 26-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) Thanks for the backhanded vote of confidence. ;) Heck, *I* don't always agree with the LDraw names. But at least I almost always know where to look for parts. Steve (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) Technically, there are a few ways we could approach it. But I don't have the time, or the interest, to really follow through on this right now. (...) I would not mind abandoning the current system -- if we were going to something better. But (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) But it wouldn't be a 'two name' system -- it would be a multi-name system, because the 'official names' can change over time. The LDraw names can change occasionally, but it doesn't happen very often (there're usually a few with every part (...) (24 years ago, 28-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)

  Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)

(...) Yes, but what *form* did your bricks take before leaving? Nothing top-secret, I presume? ;-) LOL -- that would rock, James Bond passing coded messages as Lego models... Cheers, - jsproat (24 years ago, 29-Aug-00, to lugnet.cad)