 CAD / 4513
Re: Tim visits the Model Shop (was: Re: The Artemis Project)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 01:43:40 GMT

"Terry K" <legoverse@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I seriously doubt that TLC would ever adopt our naming conventions - even • if
Tim Courtney asked them to.  :-)   (inside joke there)

ROFL :)

BTW - so you can rest at night, no bricks which weren't mine were removed
from the model shop yesterday.  I brought some of mine in, and all of mine
left, but nothing more :)

(I don't know if that's a good or bad thing)

;-)

And I agree with Steve that it is highly unlikely, given past indications,
that they would ever tell us outright what names they use - or numbers.
And Steve is right again about them not having any real standard for • naming.
And from what I've seen of "official" names, they suck.  It may work for • them
in their internal operations, but it would be horrid for us to use.

Yes, I agree.

I've been starting to talk to BradJ and we will continue to talk in the
future about LD, and I can see what I can mention about LCAD and parts
naming to him.  But, IMO, a two name approach may be the best, if we can
ever get their names out of them.

Actually, it would be kind of cool to add a "rename this part" function • to
the VEC (in LDAO).  But that would require having a custom Parts Update
Installer, to retain the custom names when new P.U.'s are applied.

Multi-name support is an intriguing possibility.
But keeping what we have, in some form, is important.  I would hate to • abandon
the naming scheme we use - even with its flaws.

Yeah, I love our naming system.  Its well thought out and its easy to use.
But accomodating TLC's system would be a Good Thing, IMO, especially since
we've seen that some TLC employees use our stuff.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114
AIM: TimCourtne