 CAD / 4508
Re: Some TLC folks use LDraw, MLCad (Was: The Artemis Project)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.publish, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.cad.mlcad
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2000 22:28:42 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Tim Courtney writes:
In lugnet.cad, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:

Wow.  Somebody pinch me.  This is about as close to unofficial endorsement
as you can get!

It also shows us that they've found something better than their own internal
stuff.

Well, Entirely possible, but not necessarily...

I know of many Industrial Designers & Architects who use very state-of-the-art
CAD/CAID software at work, but use very cheap & limited software at home for
their personal creativity... Why? Because some of the best CAD/CAID software
can run in the *hundreds of thousands of dollars* and the company may only have
a few seats.  Also, you said that they are using Autodesk software... The part
libraries are probably proprietary, and it would be strongly frowned upon to
make a personal copy of them.

So it may well be that they find MLCAD & Ldraw to be better than what they use
(If they are using AutoCAD, I would agree heartily...) But it may also be that
the designer is just using what was convenient & accessible.

In either case... its nothing to get complacent about.

--Karim