 CAD / 15826
Re: Colinear Vertices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Tue, 9 Dec 2008 22:37:11 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Timothy Gould wrote:
--snip--

Actually, LDView pretends that the three points are a triangle, then calculates
the surface normal for that triangle.  If that normal comes out with a 0 length,
it declares the vertices to be co-linear.  So its threshold is based on floating
point round-off while calculating the surface normal.

--Travis

I assume that you divide by the vector lengths first (as in normalise them
before taking the cross-product) but if you don't then you should.

No, I just take the cross product, and if the length (squared) is 0, I give an
error.  I don't see how normalizing the length of the two vectors that I feed
into the cross product would improve things much here.  Sure, it might mean that
my detection rate would be slightly different, but given that I'm relying on
floating point precision in the first place, I don't see how it would make a big
difference.

--Travis