 CAD / 15845
Re: Colinear Vertices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 08:25:24 GMT

An example, this button:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/55968.dat
Granted, I rounded condlines to 2 decimal places since I couldn't get smoothing
anyway. I did more experiments, with full precision in condline it works:

I played with the settings, and I had to set the precision all the way down to
0.133 in order to get it to fully smooth.  (0.125 failed to smooth properly.)

I'll need to keep 3 dp in this case. But since it didn't smooth anyway I had no
incentive to enlarge the file...

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/cone-prim.dat, but after rounding
to 3 dp there is no smoothing between cone sections:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/cone-prim2.dat

The 3 dp version smoothed properly with a precision at .00667 (1 / 150), but not
.005.  I think I'll set the precision to .01, to hopefully give it some leeway.
OK, we'll see if there is downsides to this. Maybe for very small details? Have
a look at some fine mesh parts such as
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/s/33320s01.dat or
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/s/6255s01.dat

I realized while investigating this that there is another problem in my curve
smoothing that I have always been aware of, but forgot to mention.  Smoothing
between primitives doesn't work when primitive substitution is enabled.  There
are things I may be able to do to fix that, though; I'll investigate the
performance implications.  So while it smooths properly with the precision set
to 0.01 with primitive substitution disabled, it doesn't smooth properly with
primitive substitution enabled.

My setup is primitive substitution with level set to one to keep geometry of
circles at 16-polygons. With that setup I see no special issues between
primitives (but maybe I have not paid enough attention). BTW, I use primitive
substitution only because it allows me to use textured studs to check their
orientation. Would it make sense to separate these options?

conditional line, no smoothing will be done.  The way that conditional lines are
used in parts ends up making this problem significantly less common than might
be expected.

...though it does happen, and is sometimes hard to avoid in some cases.
An exemple (raisonably easy to solve here) is this part:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=61069
I choose to ignore the problem to minimize part complexity:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/61069s011.png
Splitting the top quad and adjusting condline length only moves the problem:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/61069s01a1.png
For perfect result I had to add a condline between _coplanar_ top quad and
triangle: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/61069s01b1.png

You're correct, it does happen.  And the part isn't really contrived, since it
is obviously a real part.  Of course, unless I'm misunderstanding, the first
version also had a T-Junction, which is generally good to avoid ;-).  The reason
I was sure you would notice... ;o) but visually the straight line is less
disturbing.

The above 16-16 pear worked fine with my precision set to 0.01, so hopefully
that change will help things.  On a side note, your BFC for the whole pear (both
versions) is inverted.  You need to change the CCW to CW.

That's not a real part, only a test result of my Pathtruder tool... so BFC is
there only to ensure all facets have the same orientation.

I'm honestly not sure why .005 isn't cutting it, but I I'll go with .01 for
LDView 4.0 Beta 2.  I'll ask people to keep their eyes peeled for surfaces that
are smooth when they shouldn't be when using that version.

OK, waiting for it....

So there's a known large amount of effort needed to implement the new algorithm,
and no guarantee that it will provide acceptable results, and even less
guarantee that it will provide better results than the current algorithm.

So I understand very well that you are a bit reluctant to try!!!

Philo