 CAD / 15843
Re: Colinear Vertices
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 2008 07:11:18 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
...though it does happen, and is sometimes hard to avoid in some cases.
An exemple (raisonably easy to solve here) is this part:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?s=61069
I choose to ignore the problem to minimize part complexity:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/61069s011.png
Splitting the top quad and adjusting condline length only moves the problem:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/61069s01a1.png
For perfect result I had to add a condline between _coplanar_ top quad and
triangle: http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Philo/Misc/61069s01b1.png

Just as a note, the reason that last fix works is because the one vertex of the
triangle has had its surface normal pulled down.  So the triangle isn't
co-planar with the quad as far as the lighting is concerned.  With curve
smoothing, all polygons who share a smoothed vertex use a common surface normal
for that vertex.  But it only happens on polygons with conditional lines between
them.  I could probably update it to consider co-planar adjacent polygons to
have an implicit conditional line between them.  I'll have to think about that.

Could you send me the LDraw file used to generate 61069s01a1.png?  I'll see how
much trouble it would be to fix.

--Travis