 CAD / 15841
Re: Conditional Ring primitive?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 2008 21:04:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
But if you prove me wrong and find a way...

Mmhhh... maybe by setting 2 conditional rings on the junction. Each condring
would be set between a cylinder and a cone. Scaling the ring would adapt to
various cone slopes. Of course 2 rings would be needed, one for converging
cones, one for diverging ones.

What do you think (except that I'm clear as mud...)

It sounds like it would work, but I'm not sure if people would go for it.  Of
course, if the POTM competitions are anything to go by, you're making a majority
of the complicated parts right now, so if you go with it, that's probably all we
need ;-).  It would double the number of conditionals anywhere it's used, but we
already do that with various cylinder and torus primitives, and it's not like
these kinds of curved surfaces are likely to have a huge impact on most (any?)
models.

My comment about needing twice the geometry for the edge was based on a
misunderstanding of what you wrote.  Based on what I now assume you meant, two
wouldn't be required for each joint.  However, your solution would only work if
the cones on either side of the joint had a change of angle that made things
symmetric.  I was thinking of having two rings act together to form the edge, in
a similar way that the end of a 1/4 cylinder works right now.  I THINK that
could be set up to allow the cones on either side to have arbitrary angles that
don't have to match, but I'd have to think about it more to be sure.

--Travis