 CAD / 14744
Re: LDraw File Format Spec 1.0 DRAFT - Call for Public Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 23:33:16 GMT

On Aug 22, 2007, at 10:39 PM, Travis Cobbs wrote:

I perfectly well understand that many programs don't support this,
and I'm not
saying that those programs are broken.  What I am saying it that
it's not
appropriate to say in the spec that spaces aren't allowed in
filenames.  And
furthermore, I think that supporting spaces in filenames is a
feature that
programs should have going forward (which is what this spec is all
about).
Users should be able to use them and they should work.  The main
reason for
having them be discouraged (as they are in the spec) is because
many programs
don't support them.

   My issue with spaces is not with programs supporting them or not,
it's that the elements inside a line are delimited by spaces, you
comes to file names that rule is broken. I want to be able to name
models with spaces, using underscores or whatever other solution is
ugly.

   I'd be ok with spaces in file names if the entire file name had to
be quoted if it had spaces, so it would be something like: 1 16 0 0 0
1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 "my model.dat" but I'm not sure how others feel
about it.

   Also, the part where it lists what characters are allowed should
be more clear and list what's allowed and what's not instead of
simply discouraging some characters. I don't think discouraging
something should be in the spec, the way I see it a spec is a set of
rules and should only define what's allowed.

   I think the entire paragraph about file names could be something
as simple as:

Filenames should not exceed 255 characters (including the extension)
and may only contain the following characters: a-z, A-Z, 0-9, _, -,
<space> and .

Leonardo