 CAD / 14718
Re: LDraw File Format Spec 1.0 DRAFT - Call for Public Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 09:21:27 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Rob Ross wrote:
The "so-what" would be that I, as someone who will eventually read in these
files to create OpenGL renderings of them, would expect the matrices to be in
column-major order, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

I think the original suggestion that we mention that it is in row-major format
is valid.  I agree that the fact that OpenGL (almost certainly one of the top
two most used 3D APIs on the planet) uses column major format is a good reason
to specify that LDraw uses row-major format, instead of just saying "standard".
It just proves that "standard" in this context is ambiguous.

--Travis

I came across the *current* LDraw file spec here:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article45.html

and the matrix example is using column-major ordering. So now I'm really
confused. Does the current spec use column-major, and the new spec is proposing
to change it? Or is the current spec wrong in using that column-major example?
If it's really a change in the spec, won't that break everyone's existing code?

Rob