 CAD / 14735
Re: OpenGL spec (was LDraw File Format spec)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 10:01:06 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Rob Ross wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Leonardo Zide wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad, Rob Ross wrote:
The "so-what" would be that I, as someone who will eventually read in these
files to create OpenGL renderings of them, would expect the matrices to be in
column-major order, unless explicitly stated otherwise.

I think the original suggestion that we mention that it is in row-major format
is valid.  I agree that the fact that OpenGL (almost certainly one of the top
two most used 3D APIs on the planet) uses column major format is a good reason
to specify that LDraw uses row-major format, instead of just saying "standard".
It just proves that "standard" in this context is ambiguous.

--Travis

  You guys are both wrong, OpenGL is NOT column major. This is one of the
biggest mistakes I keep hearing people repeat about OpenGL.

The OpenGL 2.1 specification:

page 23

Vertex Arrays

"Matrices are loaded into these slots in column major order."

page 43

Matrices

LoadMatrix takes a pointer to a 4 × 4 matrix stored in column-major order as 16
consecutive floating-point values, i.e. as

a1 a5 a9 a13
a2 a6 a10 a14
a3 a7 a11 a15
a4 a8 a12 a16

(This differs from the standard row-major C ordering for matrix elements. If the
standard ordering is used, all of the subsequent transformation equations are
transposed,
and the columns representing vectors become rows.)"

page 264

State and State Requests

If the uniform queried is a
matrix, the values of the matrix are returned in column major order.

Rob

As this thread is for the discussion of the LDraw specification can any further
debate of what the OpenGL specification may or may not say please be continued
on .off-topic.debate

Thanks

William