 CAD / 14719
Re: LDraw File Format Spec 1.0 DRAFT - Call for Public Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:10:43 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Rob Ross wrote:
I came across the *current* LDraw file spec here:

http://www.ldraw.org/Article45.html

and the matrix example is using column-major ordering. So now I'm really
confused. Does the current spec use column-major, and the new spec is proposing
to change it? Or is the current spec wrong in using that column-major example?
If it's really a change in the spec, won't that break everyone's existing code?

From the standpoint of OpenGL, it uses row-major ordering.  There are two ways
to draw a transformation matrix.  OpenGL uses the following (array offsets shown
after):

A D G X     0  4  8 12
B E H Y     1  5  9 13
C F I Z     2  6 10 14
0 0 0 1     3  7 11 15

Sometimes it's done like so, though:

A B C 0
D E F 0
G H I 0
X Y Z 1

(The 0 0 0 1 can of course be other numbers, but generally aren't in 3D.)
Both forms work; one requires a 4-tall vector for points, and the other requires
a 4-wide vector for points.

Given the following part line:

1 16 X Y Z A B C D E F G H I stud.dat

The OpenGL matrix will look like so: