 CAD / 14702
Re: LDraw File Format Spec 1.0 DRAFT - Call for Public Comments
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 20 Aug 2007 21:16:44 GMT

In lugnet.cad, William Howard wrote:
Like all previous LSCs, the 2006/7 LSC was charged with ratifying the LDraw File
Format 1.0 specification.

After much work checking, and ratifying as necessary, all linked specs and
language extensions, and many months of dicussions about the actual spec, the
LSC would now like to invite public comment on the final draft spec.

The final draft spec can be found here - http://www.ldraw.org/Article408.html
(please note that this is the LSC "scratch pad", you need to follow the link and
NOT try to navigate to the page through the menus.)

*** Please ensure you read Article 408 (and not articles 45 or 218) ***

Please post any comments and/or constructive critism as a reply to this message
(or sub-messages).  Please do not email LSC members or the LSC mailing list
directly, as it makes it very hard to ensure that all comments are considered.

OK, I read the whole post and am reposting my comments here :-)

Here are my comments.  I'll delineate the section where appropriate.

Purpose: "standard by which most create virtual LEGO® models"
    Due to past personal conflicts and missteps too lengthly to get in to here,
consider changing to "standard by which most create LEGO® models on the
computer"

LDraw Files: File Name: "The requirement for LDraw files to conform to the DOS
8.3 filename convention has been removed."
    Define what the spec is and not what it is not.  Consider removing this line
as it is extraneous.

LDraw Files: File Name: "Official LDraw filenames ..."
    This whole sentence should be removed and placed in a separate document
defining official library standards.

Line Types: Line Type 0
    I think the form "0 <comment>" should be depreciated and stated as such in
the spec.

Line Types: Line Type 0: Meta Commands
    I'm concerned with adding the "!" to the official spec.  What about 3rd
party metas that don't use "!".  If a 3rd party program has metas that don't
start with "!" then technically that program can't claim LDraw.org spec
compatibility.  I recommend mandating it for official metas and strongly
suggesting it for unofficial ones.  You might want to add a note that if an
unofficial meta were ever to become officially adopted it would be required to
have a "!".

Line Types: Line Type 4
    I'm hesitant to disallow concave quads.  There's nothing technically wrong
with them and a good chunk of the current official library doesn't conform.

Line Types: Line Type 4
    I think the common verticies paragraph needs a visual example.

--Orion