 CAD / 14743
Re: MOTM Contest Questions and a Proposal
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 23 Aug 2007 15:47:38 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Timothy Gould wrote:

Some quick answers...

In lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, Jim DeVona wrote:
The new minimum-entries rule has inspired me to enter the LDraw.org Model of the
Month contest. I have a few questions:

Excellent. Thanks.

1. Should entries that use unofficial parts (real LEGO parts that are not yet
LDraw certified) include those parts in the MPD file? I know there is no rule
requiring this, but I am curious if it would be helpful.

You should include the unofficial parts as submodels.

OK. I will probably do this.

2. Does the rule against official LEGO models and box art-inspired models apply • ;> to entirely custom alternate models as well? (By "alternate models" I mean
"MOCs" created only with pieces from a single set.)

So long as you invent it then it's yours to submit. We don't want someone to
post an MPD of the alternative model shown on the back of the box, other than
that it's up to you what parts you use.

Right. Sounds good.

I assume for the purpose of the contest, if not in general, the answer to the
question I pose at http://news.lugnet.com/cad/dev/?n=10660 is that submodel
names should indeed be conservatively treated as filenames.

Probably best to be conservative. I don't think your entry would be vetoed if
you weren't but the less risk of extra work we (actually just Willy) have to do
the happier we'll be.

Ha, a good point! Sounds like LDView is used for the contest renders, so it
probably wouldn't be a problem, but I am going to stick with simple names.

One incidental point I would like to make about MOTM voting is that to me, the
composition of an LDraw file is as important as the screenshot in judging how
"good" the model is ... I propose that the contestant LDraw files be made available to
voters as part of the ballot. ...

That's an interesting point and one which we will certainly take into account.
Expect some work behind the scenes on this (although possibly not a lot given
other more pressing issues).

OK. I realize there are mixed feelings on the topic, so I can't expect the
LDraw.org committees to come to a conclusion promptly. As long as I've triggered
some discussion I'm content.

Jim