 CAD / Development / 10660
10659  |  10661
Subject:
Portable MPD Submodel Names
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 22 Aug 2007 16:04:46 GMT

Bricksmith and LDView accept descriptive submodel names containing spaces,
punctuation, and no file extension. However, I have been given the impression
that MPD files containing submodel names like these can be problematic for MLCad
and other tools (including scripts I have written). Therefore, in recent models
I have avoided whitespace in, and appended ".ldr" to, the submodel titles in an
effort to ensure compatibility with other software. Can someone confirm whether
these concessions are necessary, at least from an MLCad user's perspective?

For comparison, here are two identical models. The first uses arbitrary submodel
names while the second adheres to the filename convention.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/anoved/Examples/test-submodel-names.mpd
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/anoved/Examples/test-submodel-names-strict.mpd

Although it is very reasonable to assert that submodel names should be valid
filenames (http://ldraw.org/Article408.html#files), the MPD Language Extension
(http://ldraw.org/Article47.html) is silent on the matter of submodel name
composition. This leaves the interpretation of valid submodel names up to the
implementation. As I have suggested above, I suspect there are in fact
incompatible implementations among popular LDraw tools.

So, in the short term I just wish to ensure I've adopted a portable submodel
naming scheme. In the long term, I am curious if the MPD specification should be
revised to clarify whether the linetype 1 filename rules apply to MPD submodels.
The goal ultimately would be to ensure that users need not remember some naming
convention to create LDraw models that can be easily exchanged between
applications.

Thanks,
Jim