 CAD / 11269
  Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

The voting for the April Model of the Month and Scene of the Month contests is now open at LDraw.org. Visit the (URL) voting page> to cast your vote. This is the first month of the new MOTM rules format. Any comment regarding this new format are (...) (20 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad, lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, lugnet.announce, FTX)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I must say I sincerely dislike the rendering options used for MOTM. The distorted perspective caused by having the camera so close makes me want to vote *NO* to all pictures :-( Maybe I'm showing my age, but I see *nothing* cool in this kind (...) (20 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) The point is to not take the rendering into account. In fact next month I think I'll make the pictures straight from MLCad just to illustrate the fact that this contest is not about the rendering. -Orion (20 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Yes, maybe it's a good idea to use MLCad straight, but the models look *so* much better when POV:ed, it's a pity not to do it... I think a distant camera with a small angle, giving a nearly isometric view, is best if using POVRay. Of course, (...) (20 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Actually I was thinking about using a different rending technique every month. This month it was POV-Ray Jeroen's Radiosity Include. And I lied, next month won't be MLCad straight but LDGLite. Maybe I should post a 3-4 month outlook? -Orion (20 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I've gotta agree here. It's not so much the distortion that's the problem, it's that the viewpoint is so high that you don't get a clear enough view of the sides. It's especially noticeable in (URL) this> shot. What latitude is the camera set (...) (20 years ago, 4-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw, FTX)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) As an entrant, I have one comment. I understand the desire to to render all models with the same setting but I think those settings need to be tweaked a bit. The default camera settings allow for a perspective effect, but at close range, they (...) (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm well aware of my knowledge limitations regarding good camera position, settings, etc. I'm open to suggestions and/or training. I apologize for the way the renders turned out this month, I was hoping for a good start to the new format. (...) (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: April MOTM &SOTM Contest

Orion, I can sympathize. I still feel like I'm just stumbling through POV-RAY myself. May I suggest using L3P and L3P-Add-On (in case you're not already using them)? These help me tremendously. As far as camera angles go, I almost never use a height (...) (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I think most people won't fault you at all, the goal of a leval playing field is a very good one. MoTM should be about the models, not the renderings. I was able to decide which model I liked best nonetheless. (...) I am a total novice at this (...) (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) A few teething problems are perhaps to be expected. Setting the latitude to 30° and the camera angle to 20 gives a reasonable view of all sides. Cheers, Allister (20 years ago, 5-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Well, I attempted to do that with ldglite a year or two ago: (URL) it has a few bugs, and a new L3P release with lots of handy new command line options seemed imminent at the time so I put it on the backburner. I think it should work ok to (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I tend to enjoy a camera angle of 55 for perspective renderings, the default (67, I think) has too much perspective. -Tim (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm resistant to this. I think all the models should be rendered with the same settings. In other words, I want the settings in the file that aren't directly related to the model (camera, floor, lighting, etc) to be same across all the (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I meant for YOU to use so that you got the right settings easily... :-) More seriously, I agree that most models should be at the same angles and so forth (except for huge models where the camera needs to pull back or whatever) but size drives (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

Why not a QuickTime or a Java VR. This is a really small one, but it shows what can be done. It has about 144 frames (12 side to side by 12 up and down). (URL) could be optimized by removing rendundant frames (if left side is the same as the right, (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) What about using the standard ldlite views with the ancient -A ldraw command line option? See the ldlite documentation of ldraw.txt for details on -A. You can feed these to ldglite to quickly see which of the standard views look good for a (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Only if you use perspective. I think orthographic views are much more appropriate for MOTM. Don (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Actually the only one I use for instruction renders besides those is the "MLCad default view" which is a bit flatter (view point at a lower latitude) than the LDraw isometric view. All my POV camera angles are done purely by trial and error. (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm coming around to that viewpoint as well... much easier to standardise. (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Since you're either lazier than I am, or you have an aversion to sharing, I did the search myself and found the your Mlcad view settings. :^) (URL) -A0.71,0,0.71,0.28,0...,0.39,0.65 -v4 to ldglite and pressing F12 gives these l3p camera (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Yes. (...) No. I did after all post all this once before, so it's not that I didn't WANT to share it... (...) So fix your bug already! :-) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) I'm mostly in the 5-45 range, probably depends on the model and intent of picture too. -- Anders Isaksson, Sweden BlockCAD: (2 URLs) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

Hello Orion Well.. i think the renders turned out great and it shows each model in a neutral way. I know it is a lot of work to do these not to mention even the time you have to put in this. I still need the authors desire to show their model in the (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Non-orthographic perspective renderings never seem to work for me. They always look like flat, rendered with artifical perspective rather than rendered objects seen in perspective. But YMMV, of course! Dave! (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) MMLLT (My Mileage Looks Like This): (URL) { location 0.84*<-1500 ,-1500 ,-4000> sky -y right -4/3*x look_at <300, -150, 1300> angle 40 rotate <0,1e-5,0> // Prevent gap between adjecent quads focal_point <150,-50,-150> aperture 25 blur_samples (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) Orion, there's no need to apologize! I expressed an *opinion*, not everyone has the same opinion. Sorry if you read it as criticism of *you*. That was not my intention. The 'one style fits all' is perfect for MOTM, it levels the ground for all (...) (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) to see your example. If I can get it to work, great! Thanks, Dave! (20 years ago, 6-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: Voting now open for April's MOTM and SOTM contests

(...) does it have to do with POV-Ray? 8^) May I ask what color palette you used, and how long it took to render? It's clear that I'll have to start working with perspective settings. Now that I've seen successful results, I won't be happy until (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  POV settings

(...) NOTE: POVRay 3.5 assumed in the following! It's the standard colors generated by L3P, and the original radiosity ideas, but I fiddled a bit with the radiosity and other settings in the .pov-file: #declare AMB = 0; #declare DIF = 0.8; (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

(...) At a glance, I'd have to say that this looks rather similar to the settings I'm using (which I stole/adapted from information discussed in this thread: (URL) If your eyes can stand to see clone MOCs, here are a few samplings: (URL) Of course, (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

(...) True. I think much of the difference is that mine is a 'world', and on another scale. Doing just one of the houses doesn't give the same depth experience at all. One thing that I have been using for a while now is a dim light at the *same* (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

Another thing may be that your models are mainly black. Black is much more difficult than lighter colors, especially if it's shiny black. Your transparent parts look awfully good, for example (although a bit too clear to be real - I now remember (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)

  Re: POV settings

(...) That's a great idea! I've never played around to much with the color definitions, and I imagine that they'd go a long way toward improving image quality. I never would have thought of the camera-location light_source. That might be just the (...) (20 years ago, 7-Apr-04, to lugnet.cad.dev.org.ldraw)