 Administrative / Suggestions / 132
Re: lugnet.market.mess
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 20:26:52 GMT

William R Ward wrote:

WHEREAS, people who sell LEGO online have been posting their
announcements of sales and availability on bricklink.com and elsewhere
in any or all of lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, .shopping, and
.brickshops; and

WHEREAS, the charters for these three groups are all vague and unclear
as to which one or more of the groups is appropriate for this sort of
thing; and

WHEREAS, people end up either avoiding all three or reading all three,
depending on whether we want to avoid or read such announcements;

BE IT RESOLVED, that I think the LUGNET charters for these groups
should be amended as follows:

     1. A new group to be created: lugnet.market.ads

     2. The charter of all other lugnet.market.* groups should be
        amended to say "No posting of ads, including bricklink stores,
        ebay auctions, or other announcements of LEGO for sale by the
        person posting or any organization that he/she represents."

     3. Third-party announcements (e.g. "Podracer buckets for $1 at
        Tuesday Morning!") would be confined to .shopping

     4. Discussion of how to run a brickshop, and other
        non-announcement messages pertaining to bricklink and the
        like, would go in .brickshops

     5. Offers to buy or trade LEGO would go in .buy-sell-trade, but
        *NOT* offers to sell (put those in .ads).  (Maybe this group
        could be renamed or replaced with .wanted and .barter?)

     6. Remove .auction or make it a subgroup of .ads.  Discussions
        about ebay policies and the like can go in .theory if the
        group is made a subgroup of .ads.

NOOOOOOO (especially NOOOOOOOOOOOOO on combining the auction adds in
with other adds). I really really would like to see announcements for
eBay and BrickLink (and any other high volume site) each in their own
group so that I can easily find the announcements of stuff available
which is not easily searchable (both eBay and BrickLink have nice search
engines so there is less need to see announcements of new stuff, also,
the volumes are so high).

I can see a value of a separate group for wanted adds, but I don't see
the value of separating offers to trade from offers to sell (how many
people really ONLY offer items for trade [ok, a few people offering sets
have done so, including myself]).

Frank