 Administrative / Suggestions / 135
Re: lugnet.market.mess
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Sat, 20 Apr 2002 07:37:25 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz writes:
William R Ward wrote:

BE IT RESOLVED, that I think the LUGNET charters for these groups
should be amended as follows:

     1. A new group to be created: lugnet.market.ads

     2. The charter of all other lugnet.market.* groups should be
        amended to say "No posting of ads, including bricklink stores,
        ebay auctions, or other announcements of LEGO for sale by the
        person posting or any organization that he/she represents."

     3. Third-party announcements (e.g. "Podracer buckets for $1 at
        Tuesday Morning!") would be confined to .shopping

     4. Discussion of how to run a brickshop, and other
        non-announcement messages pertaining to bricklink and the
        like, would go in .brickshops

     5. Offers to buy or trade LEGO would go in .buy-sell-trade, but
        *NOT* offers to sell (put those in .ads).  (Maybe this group
        could be renamed or replaced with .wanted and .barter?)

     6. Remove .auction or make it a subgroup of .ads.  Discussions
        about ebay policies and the like can go in .theory if the
        group is made a subgroup of .ads.

NOOOOOOO (especially NOOOOOOOOOOOOO on combining the auction adds in
with other adds). I really really would like to see announcements for
eBay and BrickLink (and any other high volume site) each in their own
group...

I can see a value of a separate group for wanted adds, but I don't see
the value of separating offers to trade from offers to sell...

Frank

I am not sure I would classify the market groups as a mess.  There
are some charter issues to work on, but the entire hierarchy seems
to be well under control lately (and for as long as I can remember
offhand).  Personally, I favor keeping things as they are rather
than further fragmenting the groups.  Making things more complicated
is not the way to go.

There are many purposes for the marketplace groups to exist and
countless reasons why people read what is posted there.  Perhaps
the biggest reason is that people want to buy more Lego.  The market
groups are the best place to find out what is available and where
the best deals can be found.  And none of this would work if there
were no advertisements for auctions, trades, BrickLink, and so on.
Take away Ebay and BrickLink ads and all other For Sale or Trade
postings and there wouldn't be much left.

Lugnet has excellent compartmentalization that segregates all market-type
stuff to the market groups.  This provides easy access to these messages
but no one is forced to look at them, either.  It is not difficult to
read Lugnet all day long and not view even one For Sale post--unless
you wanted to.  Not everyone wants to see all of the For Sale flogs.
But they have a purpose and should be allowed to co-exist with other
marketplace news.

Without statistics for proof, my observation of the last few months is
that posting traffic in the .market groups is pretty low and under control.
As of now, the Lugnet Traffic report for .b-s-t shows just 40 messages for
the last week and pretty low counts for the other .market groups.  To me
that seems like a low number for an entire week (less than 6 messages
a day average) and an amount that should be easily manageable for even
casual readers.

There will always be messages that certain people will not want to see
or even know about.  But we cannot and should not get rid of or restric
them.  Further segregation into new or re-configured newsgroups will
not really solve the problem of unwanted posts.  It is impossible to
satisfy everyone; we somteimes just have to deal with stuff we don't
like by paying it little attention.

Because I am happy with the status quo, I did not take much time to
consider the suggestions that started this thread.  But after reading
them several times, I still do not find much there that will really
change or improve the .market groups.   There must be some ideas out
there that have not yet been suggested or need to be re-suggested
that will give us good results.
Anyone with such a suggestion--please step forward and tell us.

__Kevin Salm__
Curator, Lugnet marketplace newsgroups

.