 Administrative / Suggestions / 149
Re: lugnet.market.mess
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Tue, 23 Apr 2002 05:24:09 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
.announce.moc was CREATED to keep traffic out of .announce. It basically
(due to the technology) fails to do that for web users. Point your browser
at .announce and you see announce.moc traffic as well. Simple as that... it
fails to keep traffic out of announce. Yes yes you can get a 'no subgroups'
view but it's not the default. If we are going to reorg things, reorg them
so that this is not a problem.

I'll go into more depth later if that doesn't help clear up my point.

I wonder if it's time to change the default. I'm thinking the main place
where I would see value is when the subgroups shouldn't really exist in
the first place, such as some .loc groups (the way NC works for example,
we would actually be better off with just .loc.nc and no .loc.nc.city
groups, and how much value is lugnet.loc or lugnet.loc.us with
subgroups?).

Of course I do like the lugnet supergroup as I often browse it after a
long session of reading, or during a work break to see what the latest
news is.

It also would be nice to eventually get the customized supergroup
capability which has been mentioned before for members. That would let
one for example create a supergroup of all the groups you read the most
(or actually more useful in my mind, a supergroup of the low volume
groups you like to keep an eye on so one quick check would show if there
was anything you cared about).

Frank