 Administrative / Suggestions / 158
Re: lugnet.announce.moc [was: Re: lugnet.market.mess]
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 13:21:44 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, William R. Ward writes:
"Larry Pieniazek" <lpieniazek@mercator.com> writes:
.announce.moc was CREATED to keep traffic out of .announce. It basically
(due to the technology) fails to do that for web users. Point your browser
at .announce and you see announce.moc traffic as well. Simple as that... it
fails to keep traffic out of announce. Yes yes you can get a 'no subgroups'
view but it's not the default. If we are going to reorg things, reorg them
so that this is not a problem.

I'll go into more depth later if that doesn't help clear up my point.

I believe the main reason was not so much to avoid that problem, as to
keep MOC's from crowding other announcements out of the "top stories"
sidebar on the LUGNET home page.  I understand that lugnet.announce
posts are given automatically higher weight than any other messages,
assuming the same amount of highlight/spotlight.

While that may or may not be true, it's not the reason I was plumping for it
at the time. My reasons were as I outlined, to keep dissonance down.

But we digress. If I have X type things and Y type things and X is not a
kind of Y and Y is not a kind of X, I need to have two distinct places to
talk about X and Y, the way LUGNET technology works. Talking about Y in a
subgroup of where I talk about X means the X group is polluted with Y.
Talking about X in a subgroup of where I talk about Y means the Y group is
polluted with X.

It's that simple, whether you find my concrete example(1) flawed or not.
Flogging and operations/theory are two vastly different things, neither is a
kind of the other, and no tacking of new groups as subgroups of existing
ones will suffice to completely clean up the problem.

1 - MOCs are not a kind of "announcement" and announcements are not a kind
of "MOC". The resulting discussions are vastly different.
++Lar